Server Maintenance This Week. ×

sort by current year vs all others

This topic is 2673 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a date field and I'm currently sorting all of my records by year is 2016 then 2015 then 2014 then etc etc.

I would like to sort this by current year i.e. 2016) then all other records 2015, 2014, 2013 together.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks

my table is currently sorted with: year (get(currentdate)) so every section breaks down my accounts by year (2016, then 2015 then 2014) So I'm trying to have 2 sections in my table, the top section is all current year accounts, the next section is all other accounts 2015-2000 all lumped together (not in sections)

15 minutes ago, wattmhite said:

I'm trying to have 2 sections in my table, the top section is all current year accounts, the next section is all other accounts

If you're talking about sections, then you're talking about more than just sorting. To enable such grouping, define an unstored calculation field (result is Number) =

Year ( YourDateField ) = Year ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) 

then sort and group by this field.

14 minutes ago, wattmhite said:

my table is currently sorted with: year (get(currentdate)) so every section breaks down my accounts by year (2016, then 2015 then 2014)

No, that's not possible: Year ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) returns the same value for every record, so sorting by it is meaningless.

You could view your records through a portal that you filter.

You could have a popup menu (chooser) that you set for current year/all previous years. Then on the portal you can filter based on your choice, and show either where:

Year ( YourDateField ) = Year ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) 

or

Year ( YourDateField ) > Year ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) 

This topic is 2673 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.