Sub Summary Issue

datalink

This topic is 2667 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A DBMS that we're working on deals with routing trucks.  In the body of the report each record represents a stop for a truck.  There is a calculation field there that returns the number of packages to be offloaded on that stop.  The body part is followed by two sub summaries.  The first summarizes by route and a summary field positioned there returns the number of packages that will be put off that truck on all of the stops on the route.

The second sub summary part is by date.  I've placed that same summary field into the second sub summary part in an effort to have it display the number of packages that will be off loaded at all stops, on all routes on that day.  In that part the summary field returns the value of the last route on that day and doesn't total across all routes for that day.

What am I doing wrong?  The summary parts appear correctly.  I just can't seem to get the summary field to work in the second sub summary.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

When you say it's not working, are you sorting on whatever field the second sub summary part is based on?  So with 2 sub summary parts, your report would need to be sorted by both.

The other thing to try, is instead of the second sub summary part, did you try a trailing grand summary part and put the field into that part?

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, it is sorting on both sort requirements and both parts are appearing in the report layout where they should so I feel pretty confident that the issue isn't the sort.

There is a trailing grand summary part with the same summary field in it.  It has the same problem and only shows the total of the last route on the last day.

I seem to be having issues with a pretty basic filemaker task, but I can't seem to work through it on my own.  I'm hoping the forum can help sort me back out.

A system that I am working on handles routing of delivery trucks.  In the body of the report each record represents a stop that a truck must make and at that truck stop level is a number field that details the number of packages to be left at that stop.  There are two sub summary parts.  The first summarizes by route and the second by route date.  The first summary part should summarize the number of packages on each route.  The second summary part should summarize the number of packages to be delivered on all routes on a given day.

I've attached a scaled down prototype showing what I've tried to do.  In the prototype the parts are not appearing in the correct order with the date summary appearing ahead of the route summary and worse, it isn't summarizing properly.

Any suggestion about why it is failing would be much appreciated.

Prototype.fmp12.zip

Sorry about that.  It is a reworked version of an earlier post.  It is bit more thought out than the last one and includes a prototype.  I wasn't sure how to boost it up into the feed again so that more folks might take a look at it.  I've been unable to resolve the issue.

4 hours ago, datalink said:

I wasn't sure how to boost it up into the feed again so that more folks might take a look at it.  I've been unable to resolve the issue.

Hey there, Datalink!

In future, you can always post again on your thread, even just typing 'bump' ... which will bump it up into everyone's view again.  It is easy, because we all (including you) are busy, for things to just slide by.  By keeping everything in a single thread, it helps us in by reading what others have suggested and your other discussions about the issue.  :-)

This topic is 2667 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.