Move Text with Merge Fields from one place to another?

steveald

This topic is 2656 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for asking this question. If someone knows a better place and can do so, please feel free to move it.

I have to create many layouts in our main database using formatted static text mixed with merge fields. Attached is an example of what three sections of this text might look like. The dollar amounts are merge fields which display data that is calculated based on selections made elsewhere within each record. I use merge fields to make the surrounding text move based on how many characters are in the merge field data.

Normally, I create each layout knowing exactly which sections I want to appear on that page. If there needs to be a handful of combinations of sections, I just create a layout for each one. But I now have a situation where any number of sections (usually between 1 and 8) will need to appear on a page. And there are 32 sections to select from - each with merge field data unique to the record they are found in. Obviously, creating one layout for each possible combination of sections is not realistic.

So, I thought it would be nice to be able to create a layout where I could drag each required section to it's own place on the layout. Drag and drop between container fields won't work because we are talking about text with merge fields containing data that needs to change based on selections made elsewhere. And I think moving text between fields could too easily open up the possibility of errors.

If it helps, the merge fields (and possibly even the static text) could also be displayed as Edit boxes or something else.

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 3.26.08 PM.jpg

This topic is 2656 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.