Google authentication (Without a plugin)

This topic is 2636 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm looking for a method of authenticating with google via FileMaker. I would like to run post commands via the Insert from URL command to allow my FMDB to publish Cal Events to a specific calendar. Realistically I'd want this to be automatic when an appointment is assigned on the system. 

At the moment, I can get a post to work, but it returns an error. I imagine this is because the authentication hasn't taken place. 

Has anyone managed to get a working OAuth 2.0 setup/Google Login on Filemaker that will work with POST and GETs. 

Once I've got Calendar to work, then I want to start on Drive and Gmail. 

Thanks! :)

There are a few plugins that can help you here.  A good one is the free BaseElements one.

The 'insert from url' can take you a fair part of the road but it does not allow you for instance to set the custom headers for an HTTP POST that are usually required for interacting with such an API.

31 minutes ago, Wim Decorte said:

There are a few plugins that can help you here.  A good one is the free BaseElements one.

The 'insert from url' can take you a fair part of the road but it does not allow you for instance to set the custom headers for an HTTP POST that are usually required for interacting with such an API.

I've been using the insert from URL for the POST and GET communication, however, I'm getting a bad request return from Google because of the authentication. It's literally the OAuth I need to calculate. 

One thing I should mention is, we want this to work on iPads, using Go? I'm starting to wonder if its going to be possible. 

You may be able to do it using javascript in a web viewer on Go, or you can use PSoS and use a plugin server-side.

You can't do oAuth authentication through the "insert from URL", because of what I mentioned: you can't set the custom headers that are required.

Just now, Wim Decorte said:

You may be able to do it using javascript in a web viewer on Go, or you can use PSoS and use a plugin server-side.

You can't do oAuth authentication through the "insert from URL", because of what I mentioned: you can't set the custom headers that are required.

I see!! I've not played with POST and GET commands much until now. I will attempt something with those two methods. 

Thanks for your help!

You can use 'Perform Script on Server', and have the plug-in installed on the server, to get around the fact that FM Go does not support plug-ins.

Or you could wait for FM 16 since FMI's roadmap shows built-in support for the commands that you are currently relying on the plug-in for. They say they will include 'Enhanced cURL options — Provides cURL options to configure HTTP/HTTPS calls that work with REST APIs.' in the next version.

1 minute ago, rwoods said:

You can use 'Perform Script on Server', and have the plug-in installed on the server, to get around the fact that FM Go does not support plug-ins.

Or you could wait for FM 16 since FMI's roadmap shows built-in support for the commands that you are currently relying on the plug-in for. They say they will include 'Enhanced cURL options — Provides cURL options to configure HTTP/HTTPS calls that work with REST APIs.' in the next version.

Music to my ears!! I might have to just wait for a little while. I have enough to develop in the mean time! 

This topic is 2636 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.