Filemaker Client 13 or later very slow on launch and during use

shailasg

This topic is 2600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Filemaker Pro 13 or later is very slow on launch and during use

George ShailasSolution Starter

George Shailas Feb 14, 2017 1:28 PM

CAUSE OF THE ISSUE AND THE SOLUTION:

It seems that when you using Filemaker Server, the client creates initially 150 temporary files in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp named FMTEMPFM####_###.png These files are just png picture files and it seems they get created very often while are connected to the server. It can create 20-30 files for every move you take do do something.

Well when you have 2 MILLION of these files create over time, this will cause the Filemaker to take up two hours to launch. Just to view the directory from windows it takes a good hour to display. Well for Filmaker to try to create again these files in this huge directory it takes a good hour and makes the application non responsive. Sometimes I noticed the slowness also as I was using the Database and that is because Filemaker creates these files as you are connected as well every time you perform an action.

DO NOT TRY TO DELETE THESE FILES FROM THE WINDOWS INTERFACE. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.

RUN del  "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\FMTEMP*.png"   /Q

THIS WILL DELETE THE FILES MUCH MORE FASTER.

AFTER I DELETED ALL THESE FILES AND THE C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp  DIRECTORY IS EMPTY, THE FILEMAKER IS NOW BACK TO NORMAL.

NOTE: FOR SOME REASON, IF YOU JUST USE FILEMAKER CLIENT ONLY WITHOUT THE SERVER THE PROBLEM DOES NOT EXIT.

I SPENT A LOT OF COMPANY'S TIME OVER THE LAST SIX MONTHS TO FINALLY FIGURE OUT THE SOLUTION, THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE FRUSTRATION OF ALL OF MY USERS THAT WENT THROUGH, SWITCHING OR RELOADING MACHINES EVERY TIME TO AVOID THE ISSUE. THE FILEMAKER CUSTOMER SUPPORT WAS UNABLE TO HELP AT ALL. I AM NOW EXPECTING FILEMAKER TO CORRECT THE BUG AND ISSUE AN UPDATE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Attached is a picture of the Temp directory listing 1.5 MILLION FILES. That was after I deleted 1 MILLION.

TEMPORARY SOLUTION UNTIL FILEMAKER INC. FIXES THE PROBLEM:

CREATE AN MSDOS BAT COMMAND FILE DELFMTEMPFILES.BAT WITH THE FOLLOWING COMMAND AND CALL IT during Open or on Close:

del  "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\FMTEMP*.png"   /Q

THANKS

George

FMTEMPFM.JPG

Edited by shailasg
Updated text

This topic is 2600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.