Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
theusualsuspect

Standby Worker Machine?

5 posts in this topic

Quick question. I know there is a way to create a standby server for filemaker, but what happens if the worker machine fails? Is there a backup option for that? I've been hunting around and haven't found anything to address this. Does the master machine take over for the worker? Any insight? (Thanks in advance)

Posted (edited)

Richard Carlton did a couple of videos on Server, and this one by FileMaker Inc. I think covers your question. 

Benefits of FileMaker Server 15

Hope this helps
Edited by Lee Smith
RCC didn’t do this one.

Hi Lee. Thanks for the link, but unless I missed it I didn't see anything in the video addressing redundancy options for a two machine deployment. Part of me thinks it's safer to have a one machine deployment with a standby server so all aspects of server are covered, but I know there's a performance penalty for that. (I suppose I could make up for that with beefier hardware, but since the vast majority of my users will be using webdirect it will be a high bar to reach.)  

There is no standby for the worker machine.  If the worker machine fails you need to run the FMS installer on the new worker then run the deployment wizard again on the main server to make the connection.

Don't use a single-machine deployment just to have it covered by the primary/standby feature... just have a secondary worker machine ready with all the installers ready to go.  It's really just a matter of having a good procedure to follow and having practiced it.

Thanks Wim! I knew you'd have the answer :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By cbum
      For security reasons, my institution is requiring me to migrate my FMS15 solution, currently residing on a MacPro in my office, to the IT data center. Since they do not run MacOS, this includes a migration to a hosted windows server running FMS advanced. I no nothing about windows (eg: what is a hosted win server vs simple win server ???) , so I will be totally dependent on the IT staff knowing what they are doing (and they barely know FM, I narrowly escaped having them try to recreate the solution in Access for $$$$$ ...):
      Current Environment
      ·      FileMaker Server Advanced running on local Mac OS12.12 system.
      ·      RAID-0, Solid State Drives
      ·      8-Core CPU
      ·      32gb RAM
      ·      FileMaker DB is 100gb with additional storage required for temporary files and local DB backups
      Proposed Environment
      ·      Hosted Windows Server running FileMaker Server Advanced
      ·      4-CPU
      ·      16gb RAM
      ·      1tb Storage

I have many questions/concerns, but would appreciate feedback on 2 issues:
      1. Backups: My understanding is that FM is adamant that no backup system can touch a “live” database file, causing potential corruption. FMS has its own internal backup mechanism, and you point it to some external drive / directory etc, where it creates backups that can then be copied/archived by a system process or third party backup system.
      The IT manager I am discussing this with replied the following: "Backups should not be an issue either. We've been using this model on our SQL servers and have not experienced a single issue over many years. They do their backups and we do our own as well."

I don't know what the windows server system is doing for backups, but are the FM warnings about letting other backup systems touch live FM files only for 3rd party SW, and system processes are OK? Any specifics I should communicate to the IT guys? Again, I know nothing about how win or win/server does this.

2. Performance:  I am obviously worried performance will take a hit, if only from networking.
      I am hosting a dozen related files ranging from 1-50 GB, typically 5-10 concurrent local and remote users.
      The proposed environment seems less optimized for DB performance - what are the key parameters I should negotiate on? My current 32gb RAM may well be more than what is needed (I don't use any web or go functions, just straight FM clients), but can I determine from the admin console logs/stats how much is really needed? My request for SSDs was immediately shot down, how much can I get from various RAID configs they may or may not agree to?

Thanks for any feedback - I am so not looking forward to this...

• By vincenzo
      Hello, 
      I have a filemaker server 15 advanced running on windows server 2008r2 in a local LAN network. I want to connect to server with client (filemaker 15 pro). Everything work well in the local LAN but I am unable to access to the database outside the office using internet connection and IP. I just have made the port forwarding setup (5003 and 16000) but no results. Maybe the Windows server need to be opened in some service or funcionality?
      Before of the server I had a simepl windows XP pc running filemaker server 5.5 and it work well also outside the lan.
      Thank you
    • By bwalsh
      Hi, I am relatively new to FileMaker. I am a PHP developer currently working on a project that involves the FMS custom web publishing PHP API. I was able to successfully connect using the API, but the connection is no longer working. The error message says only "Unable to open file". My research says that this could be due to the database file not being open, or to a permissions issue.

I can see in the FMS admin console that the database file is open, with "normal" status. The FMWEBDIRECT and PHP columns both have full circles, indicating that the database should be accessible through the PHP API. Both the web server and the web publishing engine are on, with green checks, and PHP is activated.

I am using the same username and password that worked previously. I checked again in the database security settings and confirmed that the username and password are still correct and that the user account has the "fmphp" privelege. What else should I look for?
      In the web publishing error log I see entries that say:

127.0.0.1:63876 [USERNAME] - 802 563 "fmi/sml/fmresultset.xml?-db=[DB]&-lay=[LAYOUT]&-findany" Does the PHP API use the XML API? Also, here is the full var_dump() of the error object:

object(FileMaker_Error)#6 (9) { ["_fm"]=> &object(FileMaker_Implementation)#2 (3) { ["V73ee434e"]=> array(9) { ["charset"]=> string(5) "UTF-8" ["locale"]=> string(2) "en" ["logLevel"]=> int(3) ["hostspec"]=> string(16) "http://127.0.0.1" ["recordClass"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["prevalidate"]=> bool(false) ["database"]=> string(11) "DD_Personal" ["username"]=> string(14) "xxxx" ["password"]=> string(12) "xxxx" } ["Vea4b3413"]=> NULL ["V9a3dcbce"]=> NULL } ["error_message_prefix"]=> string(0) "" ["mode"]=> int(1) ["level"]=> int(1024) ["code"]=> string(3) "802" ["message"]=> NULL ["userinfo"]=> NULL ["backtrace"]=> array(7) { [0]=> array(6) { ["file"]=> string(90) "/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/php/el capitan/lib/php/PEAR.php" ["line"]=> int(945) ["function"]=> string(11) "__construct" ["class"]=> string(10) "PEAR_Error" ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(5) { [0]=> NULL [1]=> string(3) "802" [2]=> NULL [3]=> NULL [4]=> NULL } } [1]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(101) "/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/php/el capitan/lib/php/FileMaker/Error.php" ["line"]=> int(52) ["function"]=> string(10) "PEAR_Error" ["class"]=> string(10) "PEAR_Error" ["object"]=> *RECURSION* ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(2) { [0]=> NULL [1]=> string(3) "802" } } [2]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(129) "/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/php/el capitan/lib/php/FileMaker/Implementation/Parser/FMResultSet.php" ["line"]=> int(48) ["function"]=> string(15) "FileMaker_Error" ["class"]=> string(15) "FileMaker_Error" ["object"]=> *RECURSION* ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(3) { [0]=> &object(FileMaker_Implementation)#2 (3) { ["V73ee434e"]=> array(9) { ["charset"]=> string(5) "UTF-8" ["locale"]=> string(2) "en" ["logLevel"]=> int(3) ["hostspec"]=> string(16) "http://127.0.0.1" ["recordClass"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["prevalidate"]=> bool(false) ["database"]=> string(11) "DD_Personal" ["username"]=> string(14) "xxxx" ["password"]=> string(12) "xxxx" } ["Vea4b3413"]=> NULL ["V9a3dcbce"]=> NULL } [1]=> NULL [2]=> string(3) "802" } } [3]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(122) "/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/php/el capitan/lib/php/FileMaker/Implementation/CommandImpl.php" ["line"]=> int(84) ["function"]=> string(5) "parse" ["class"]=> string(28) "FileMaker_Parser_FMResultSet" ["object"]=> object(FileMaker_Parser_FMResultSet)#5 (17) { ["Vcb5e100e"]=> string(3) "802" ["Vf5bf48aa"]=> array(3) { ["build"]=> string(10) "10/27/2016" ["name"]=> string(31) "FileMaker Web Publishing Engine" ["version"]=> string(10) "15.0.3.308" } ["V1ea7e575"]=> array(7) { ["database"]=> string(0) "" ["date-format"]=> string(0) "" ["layout"]=> string(0) "" ["table"]=> string(0) "" ["time-format"]=> string(0) "" ["timestamp-format"]=> string(0) "" ["total-count"]=> string(1) "0" } ["V9f81f3c0"]=> array(0) { } ["Vaae0d98d"]=> array(2) { ["count"]=> string(1) "0" ["fetch-size"]=> string(1) "0" } ["Vae581270"]=> array(0) { } ["V6e52c40b"]=> array(0) { } ["Ve13f1c92"]=> NULL ["V43432a31"]=> NULL ["V51bc3e3b"]=> NULL ["V26005321"]=> NULL ["V6468d939"]=> NULL ["_fm"]=> &object(FileMaker_Implementation)#2 (3) { ["V73ee434e"]=> array(9) { ["charset"]=> string(5) "UTF-8" ["locale"]=> string(2) "en" ["logLevel"]=> int(3) ["hostspec"]=> string(16) "http://127.0.0.1" ["recordClass"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["prevalidate"]=> bool(false) ["database"]=> string(11) "DD_Personal" ["username"]=> string(14) "xxxx" ["password"]=> string(12) "xxxx" } ["Vea4b3413"]=> NULL ["V9a3dcbce"]=> NULL } ["V5431b8d4"]=> resource(28) of type (Unknown) ["V6de51026"]=> bool(false) ["_result"]=> NULL ["_layout"]=> NULL } ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(1) { [0]=> string(563) "" } } [4]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(130) "/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/php/el capitan/lib/php/FileMaker/Implementation/Command/FindAnyImpl.php" ["line"]=> int(17) ["function"]=> string(10) "_getResult" ["class"]=> string(32) "FileMaker_Command_Implementation" ["object"]=> object(FileMaker_Command_FindAny_Implementation)#4 (19) { ["_findCriteria"]=> array(0) { } ["Vd65662c5"]=> array(0) { } ["Va9136a07"]=> array(0) { } ["Vf951bdce"]=> NULL ["V83f28691"]=> NULL ["V85fd701e"]=> NULL ["V6da136ea"]=> NULL ["V568aa2ec"]=> NULL ["_fm"]=> &object(FileMaker_Implementation)#2 (3) { ["V73ee434e"]=> array(9) { ["charset"]=> string(5) "UTF-8" ["locale"]=> string(2) "en" ["logLevel"]=> int(3) ["hostspec"]=> string(16) "http://127.0.0.1" ["recordClass"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["prevalidate"]=> bool(false) ["database"]=> string(11) "DD_Personal" ["username"]=> string(14) "xxxx" ["password"]=> string(12) "xxxx" } ["Vea4b3413"]=> NULL ["V9a3dcbce"]=> NULL } ["_layout"]=> string(23) "BW Newsletter2Go Import" ["V7a2db0ea"]=> NULL ["_script"]=> NULL ["_scriptParams"]=> NULL ["_preReqScript"]=> NULL ["_preReqScriptParams"]=> NULL ["_preSortScript"]=> NULL ["_preSortScriptParams"]=> NULL ["V0b9a204c"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["_recordId"]=> NULL } ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(1) { [0]=> string(563) "" } } [5]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(103) "/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/php/el capitan/lib/php/FileMaker/Command.php" ["line"]=> int(137) ["function"]=> string(7) "execute" ["class"]=> string(40) "FileMaker_Command_FindAny_Implementation" ["object"]=> object(FileMaker_Command_FindAny_Implementation)#4 (19) { ["_findCriteria"]=> array(0) { } ["Vd65662c5"]=> array(0) { } ["Va9136a07"]=> array(0) { } ["Vf951bdce"]=> NULL ["V83f28691"]=> NULL ["V85fd701e"]=> NULL ["V6da136ea"]=> NULL ["V568aa2ec"]=> NULL ["_fm"]=> &object(FileMaker_Implementation)#2 (3) { ["V73ee434e"]=> array(9) { ["charset"]=> string(5) "UTF-8" ["locale"]=> string(2) "en" ["logLevel"]=> int(3) ["hostspec"]=> string(16) "http://127.0.0.1" ["recordClass"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["prevalidate"]=> bool(false) ["database"]=> string(11) "DD_Personal" ["username"]=> string(14) "xxxx" ["password"]=> string(12) "xxxx" } ["Vea4b3413"]=> NULL ["V9a3dcbce"]=> NULL } ["_layout"]=> string(23) "BW Newsletter2Go Import" ["V7a2db0ea"]=> NULL ["_script"]=> NULL ["_scriptParams"]=> NULL ["_preReqScript"]=> NULL ["_preReqScriptParams"]=> NULL ["_preSortScript"]=> NULL ["_preSortScriptParams"]=> NULL ["V0b9a204c"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["_recordId"]=> NULL } ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(0) { } } [6]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(64) "/Library/FileMaker Server/HTTPServer/htdocs/newsletter/index.php" ["line"]=> int(32) ["function"]=> string(7) "execute" ["class"]=> string(17) "FileMaker_Command" ["object"]=> object(FileMaker_Command_FindAny)#3 (1) { ["_impl"]=> object(FileMaker_Command_FindAny_Implementation)#4 (19) { ["_findCriteria"]=> array(0) { } ["Vd65662c5"]=> array(0) { } ["Va9136a07"]=> array(0) { } ["Vf951bdce"]=> NULL ["V83f28691"]=> NULL ["V85fd701e"]=> NULL ["V6da136ea"]=> NULL ["V568aa2ec"]=> NULL ["_fm"]=> &object(FileMaker_Implementation)#2 (3) { ["V73ee434e"]=> array(9) { ["charset"]=> string(5) "UTF-8" ["locale"]=> string(2) "en" ["logLevel"]=> int(3) ["hostspec"]=> string(16) "http://127.0.0.1" ["recordClass"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["prevalidate"]=> bool(false) ["database"]=> string(11) "DD_Personal" ["username"]=> string(14) "xxxx" ["password"]=> string(12) "xxxx" } ["Vea4b3413"]=> NULL ["V9a3dcbce"]=> NULL } ["_layout"]=> string(23) "BW Newsletter2Go Import" ["V7a2db0ea"]=> NULL ["_script"]=> NULL ["_scriptParams"]=> NULL ["_preReqScript"]=> NULL ["_preReqScriptParams"]=> NULL ["_preSortScript"]=> NULL ["_preSortScriptParams"]=> NULL ["V0b9a204c"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["_recordId"]=> NULL } } ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(0) { } } } ["callback"]=> NULL } Any help would be much appreciated!
    • By Answers
      We have had Filemaker 15 Server up and running of while but when we originally  installed it was installed on port 444 (because of our router configuration). We wanted to reinstall using port 443. So I uninstalled per instructions, uninstalling, bonjour, microsoft items, java etc... Rebooted our Windows Server 2012. Ran installer and got the error message the port 443 was not open. Rand netstat -a -o from command prompt, it said Filemaker 14/ on port 443 was listening (PID 768 and 4), So used skill to kill the PID. Rebooted, still unable to install Filemaker 15, port not open.
      Then went  into diagnostic mode, started the installer service. Installed successfully but then could not launch Filemaker server, could not even change firewall settings. So now we are restoring the server to the image backup. 
      Would like to uninstall and reinstall again tomorrow using port 443, any hints or tips on what to check before an uninstall and reinstall.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would call FM tech support but they are not available on the weekends.

• By GEORGL03
      Good afternoon everyone,

Some BackStory:
      When FMCloud was first announced, I was ecstatic; I'm all for moving towards cloud technology for my agency. I was nearly there...about to pull the trigger and start a migration scheme from my current setup into the FMCloud, but then the one big caveat was found..
      "Supports custom app authentication via FileMaker user accounts only" AKA no External Authentication. But that is fine, I understand it was released for small businesses which need the scalability of AWS, but this DOES NOT work for my agency. I spent half a year moving away from filemaker user accounts, I can't go back; plus they have a Single Sign-on initiative that I'm trying to meet.

But I still need to get off of my old physical towers.So my next idea is that I want to spin up an EC2 in AWS and put filemaker server on it as an alternative, but I can't find any verbiage that details how that works(or if it works) in the way that I would like. Namely, I need my AWS server to talk to Active Directory, preferably by ADFS or SAML (lesser so).

So the question:
      Can I setup external Authentication to an Active Directory from a server being hosted on AWS that is housing FileMaker Server 15? If so, What should I make note of before diving into this?

Thanks for any help and clarification someone can provide.

~Levi