We have reset all users FileMaker related profile fields. Please take the opportunity to update your information,  this will provide background to members whom read your posts. Click here.

123    1

Hey,

I want to use the same header on all my layouts in FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced but I can't seem to find a way to accomplish it. I read on Google and other forums that there is no way to do it, however the posts I found are all at least a year or two old. Did they add a way to do it in FileMaker 15 or do I still need to duplicate a layout to get the same header on a different one?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Edited by 123

Hi Mike,

Yep, there's no way to do that currently, nor will there be in v16 afaik.

Why do you want to have one header across all layouts? For a menu?

• Like 1

123    1

Hey,

yeah I don't want the default FileMaker menu (that you use to create new records etc) to show up in the final product. I made a navigation bar or menu that lets you create new records, perform finds, switch layouts and so on. I guess I will have to duplicate the layout I have right now and then edit it for all my other layouts.

Thanks for the quick response,

Mike

Edited by 123
  • Like 1

Lee Smith    142

Custom Menus?

Accounts and Privileges? 

Except that the custom menu doesn't give the visual 'Wow' that we're often looking for. More and more apps (non FileMaker apps) have only a hamburger menu and don't show the old style menu at all. Which allows a much more pleasing UI. Unfortunately, FM doesn't allow any styling of the menu nor can it be captured into a hamburger style menu.

Not sure how Accounts and Privileges fits into this?

Lee Smith    142

Can you post a screenshot of what you are wanting to get ride of?

On 3/26/2017 at 6:35 AM, 123 said:

I made a navigation bar or menu that lets you create new records, perform finds, switch layouts and so on. I guess I will have to duplicate the layout I have right now and then edit it for all my other layouts.

This is what I'm looking for as well... a left "Menu Bar" type item that the users can switch layouts quickly and easily, that I can include in all my layouts. I've been googling as well but haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm brand new to Filemaker and it's a big learning curve for me.

I'd also love to see a screen shot of what you are trying to do.

Is there a way to have a layout split into two... so that the left area holds a menu type item, and then the right area holds the meat of the program?

I'm so new I don't even know the correct terms. :)

Thanks!

MikeKD    7

Could you have one layout that has your left panel nav pane, and then open windows in front and to the right of it?

123    1

Hey,

I don't know if people here are still looking for an easy way but I simply ended up putting "Top Navigation" parts on all my layouts (Layouts -> Part Setup). Every "Top Navigation" part has the same buttons on it on all my layouts and by clicking them you can navigate to all the other layouts. This simulates a static navigation bar that always stays in place, even if you scroll. I don't know if that's the way you are supposed to use it but it's really easy and works perfectly,

Best regards,

Mike

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By AlesD
      Hello,
      I would like to ask question for which I didn't find answer. I have several filemaker dbs which differs only by data entered. All tables and fields are same. My question is if it's somehow possible share layout design across all those databases because occasionally I need to modify that layout. Change it in all dbs could be time consuming. Of course I can have empty "design db" where I could re-import data after layout change but again it could be time consuming too.
      Also I'm wondering if is possible to use field name (in layout) without any table name and table would be used relative by table defined in layout? (Shows records from)

Thank you

• By surgite71
      Greetings and thanks for giving this a look!

I am rebuilding a client's database that was done formerly in PHP. I'm now using FM 16 Pro Advanced. There is one print layout I'm having trouble recreating.
      There are a number of data fields the realtors fill out...some get filled in, other times some don't. In addition it needs to print the name of the data field then the data itself, so for instance "Construction  Stick Built". I've figured out how to go through and print only the fields (and their labels) that have data. The issue I have is with the spacing in the columns.
      In the attached photo, you can see that each label/data line is neatly organized in a column so that the space between the label and the data is consistent all the way down the column. It's not centered, and it's not justified...it calculates for each row of data, how much space is needed in that row to line everything up.
      Would I need to determine how wide the column is, and then calculate how long the combo of the field name and data is (with that nice separator space in between them) and then use that to space everything? Seems like a lot of calculations going on but maybe that's what needs done?

I also need to figure out if the data will require it being in 1 column or using a 2 column like the one in the picture. I believe I can figure that out...it's this 2-column alignment/spacing that's got me tied up.

Thanks!

• By 123
      Hey,
      what happens if I create a solution in FM16 and use the "Card Window" feature and someone else who still has FM15 wants to work with my solution? Will this work or is it not even possible to run the FM16 solution?
      Thanks in advance,
      Mike
    • By Roark Holz
      Hello, I am wondering if someone can help me understand how external container fields work in FileMaker 15. For testing purposes I have created a very simple database shared from our FileMaker 15 Server, the database has two fields, a single text field and a single container field. I have set the container field to store files externally which works, the files end up in a subfolder on the FileMaker server where the database itself resides. 
      Now I would like to change the external location where the files associated with the container are stored, I found a section in the manual called "Managing external storage of container data" but this is where I am running into a problem. While logged into the database as the admin user I go to File-->Manage Containers. There is one location listed under Base Directories: "[hosted location]/Container Test/" however all of the buttons that I should be able to use to manage my containers are grayed out (New..., Edit..., Delete and Transfer Data...). The only buttons in there that work are cancel and OK. It seems like a permissions problem but I am logged in as the admin user with full access.
      Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?
      Ultimately I would like files uploaded to my container fields to be stored on a file share, either referenced by UNC path or by mapping a network drive. 
      Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.
    • By Cynthia Heyman
      I'm brand new to Filemaker. I'm trying to figure out how to make a left menu area that will appear in all of my layouts for navigation purposes.  To switch from layout to layout easily for the user when my application goes live.
      I'm not even sure if this is possible, but from what I'm reading, it looks like it may not be.
      Would there be a way to split a layout into two vertical sections, the left one being the menu (which I can duplicate on every layout if necessary, though that would be a pain), and the right area where the actual program interactions appear?
      I'm so new that I'm not even what the correct terminology is.
      Thanks!