Jason Mundok

Display FileMaker Text Field Formatting through PHP API

6 posts in this topic

I have a website that is displaying FileMaker data using the PHP API. Is there a way for the web site to display the basic text formatting from a FileMaker field? For example, a few words in the comments field are bold in FileMaker and I would like them to also be bold on the website. Thanks for any ideas.

Posted (edited)

This is true for FileMaker 11, unless FileMaker made some serious upgrades to their php api after this; here is my piece of advice. As a rule of thumb what you export when you export to XML for FileMaker is what you can bring to the web. That said I'd imagine you can make a supporting field that holds the info you are after.

Edited by ggt667

don't know that you can... but perhaps if you have a shadow field that uses GetAsCSS() on your original field, that could give you something to work with?

Thanks, Wim. That was suggested elsewhere as well. I'm going to try it a little later and I'll post back with the results.

Posted (edited)

It looks like you should be able to do GetAsCSS( fieldname ) and then use the output of that in its own field. No need for supporting/shadow field: http://www.filemaker.com/help/12/fmp/html/func_ref3.33.54.html Yet you will have to override CSS font or be stuck with whichever font is put inside FileMaker by the looks of it.

Edited by ggt667

GetAsCSS worked as a solution for this.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By GisMo
      I have a php script that takes two PDF files and merges them into one file. I am using this in conjunction with the insert from URL script step. 
      The way the script works is it takes two PDFs in container fields and base64encode each files. Then, those two base 64 strings are POSTed via insert from URL.
      I've tested the script forwards and backwards and it does combine the PDF files reliably. The issue is when posting from FileMaker. What typically happens is the first page is combined twice and that's my resultant PDF. 
      My php script checks that both inputs are different and throws an error is they are identical. I don't get any errors there.
      Is there a way to POST a file from insert from URL?
    • By Ron Cates
      Hi all. I am about to start building a user interface to provide text formatting functionality whereby users can format text using buttons I have provided such as Bold, Italic, and so on. Basically buttons for all the text formatting functions FileMaker provides. I specifically need the ability for users to be able to highlight text within a block of text in a text field and add formatting to the highlighted text. Can anyone recommend a source with some examples or video tutorials on how to accomplish this.
      Thanks in advance
    • By randyinla
      Hi, I have a field called 'mytournament1'.  I also have a field called 'mytournament1played'.  With a form, I create the variable $tournament to bring 'mytournament1' to my results page.
      $tournament = $_GET['tournament'];
      I'd like to force the results page to search for the field 'mytournament1played' for each record by using the variable $tournament and combining the word 'played' or the variable $played.  
      $played = 'played';
      $tournamentplayed = $tournament . $played;
      $tournamentplayed2 = $record->getField('$tournamentplayed');
      (I want it to deliver)      $record->getField('mytournament1played');

I know the 1st '$record->getField' line is wrong.  Can I combine 2 variables that spell out a database field name (mytournament1played) that can be used to call up a field in a search?  i.e.
      if ($tournamentplayed2!='1') {

thanks in advance for your help!

• By sal88
      Hi all
      We have a web based tickets portal which creates new messages in our filemaker database - this is for customers' use. It does this using the PHP API (the website was developed by a third party). We would like the owners of tickets to be notified when the customer has added a message to one of the tickets that they are in charge of.
      Is there a way for filemaker/filemaker server to trigger a 'send email' script when a new record is created via the web portal? Or would it be simpler for this action to occur on the web side?
      Many thanks
    • By bwalsh
      Hi, I am relatively new to FileMaker. I am a PHP developer currently working on a project that involves the FMS custom web publishing PHP API. I was able to successfully connect using the API, but the connection is no longer working. The error message says only "Unable to open file". My research says that this could be due to the database file not being open, or to a permissions issue.

I can see in the FMS admin console that the database file is open, with "normal" status. The FMWEBDIRECT and PHP columns both have full circles, indicating that the database should be accessible through the PHP API. Both the web server and the web publishing engine are on, with green checks, and PHP is activated.

I am using the same username and password that worked previously. I checked again in the database security settings and confirmed that the username and password are still correct and that the user account has the "fmphp" privelege. What else should I look for?
      In the web publishing error log I see entries that say:

127.0.0.1:63876 [USERNAME] - 802 563 "fmi/sml/fmresultset.xml?-db=[DB]&-lay=[LAYOUT]&-findany" Does the PHP API use the XML API? Also, here is the full var_dump() of the error object:

object(FileMaker_Error)#6 (9) { ["_fm"]=> &object(FileMaker_Implementation)#2 (3) { ["V73ee434e"]=> array(9) { ["charset"]=> string(5) "UTF-8" ["locale"]=> string(2) "en" ["logLevel"]=> int(3) ["hostspec"]=> string(16) "http://127.0.0.1" ["recordClass"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["prevalidate"]=> bool(false) ["database"]=> string(11) "DD_Personal" ["username"]=> string(14) "xxxx" ["password"]=> string(12) "xxxx" } ["Vea4b3413"]=> NULL ["V9a3dcbce"]=> NULL } ["error_message_prefix"]=> string(0) "" ["mode"]=> int(1) ["level"]=> int(1024) ["code"]=> string(3) "802" ["message"]=> NULL ["userinfo"]=> NULL ["backtrace"]=> array(7) { [0]=> array(6) { ["file"]=> string(90) "/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/php/el capitan/lib/php/PEAR.php" ["line"]=> int(945) ["function"]=> string(11) "__construct" ["class"]=> string(10) "PEAR_Error" ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(5) { [0]=> NULL [1]=> string(3) "802" [2]=> NULL [3]=> NULL [4]=> NULL } } [1]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(101) "/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/php/el capitan/lib/php/FileMaker/Error.php" ["line"]=> int(52) ["function"]=> string(10) "PEAR_Error" ["class"]=> string(10) "PEAR_Error" ["object"]=> *RECURSION* ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(2) { [0]=> NULL [1]=> string(3) "802" } } [2]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(129) "/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/php/el capitan/lib/php/FileMaker/Implementation/Parser/FMResultSet.php" ["line"]=> int(48) ["function"]=> string(15) "FileMaker_Error" ["class"]=> string(15) "FileMaker_Error" ["object"]=> *RECURSION* ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(3) { [0]=> &object(FileMaker_Implementation)#2 (3) { ["V73ee434e"]=> array(9) { ["charset"]=> string(5) "UTF-8" ["locale"]=> string(2) "en" ["logLevel"]=> int(3) ["hostspec"]=> string(16) "http://127.0.0.1" ["recordClass"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["prevalidate"]=> bool(false) ["database"]=> string(11) "DD_Personal" ["username"]=> string(14) "xxxx" ["password"]=> string(12) "xxxx" } ["Vea4b3413"]=> NULL ["V9a3dcbce"]=> NULL } [1]=> NULL [2]=> string(3) "802" } } [3]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(122) "/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/php/el capitan/lib/php/FileMaker/Implementation/CommandImpl.php" ["line"]=> int(84) ["function"]=> string(5) "parse" ["class"]=> string(28) "FileMaker_Parser_FMResultSet" ["object"]=> object(FileMaker_Parser_FMResultSet)#5 (17) { ["Vcb5e100e"]=> string(3) "802" ["Vf5bf48aa"]=> array(3) { ["build"]=> string(10) "10/27/2016" ["name"]=> string(31) "FileMaker Web Publishing Engine" ["version"]=> string(10) "15.0.3.308" } ["V1ea7e575"]=> array(7) { ["database"]=> string(0) "" ["date-format"]=> string(0) "" ["layout"]=> string(0) "" ["table"]=> string(0) "" ["time-format"]=> string(0) "" ["timestamp-format"]=> string(0) "" ["total-count"]=> string(1) "0" } ["V9f81f3c0"]=> array(0) { } ["Vaae0d98d"]=> array(2) { ["count"]=> string(1) "0" ["fetch-size"]=> string(1) "0" } ["Vae581270"]=> array(0) { } ["V6e52c40b"]=> array(0) { } ["Ve13f1c92"]=> NULL ["V43432a31"]=> NULL ["V51bc3e3b"]=> NULL ["V26005321"]=> NULL ["V6468d939"]=> NULL ["_fm"]=> &object(FileMaker_Implementation)#2 (3) { ["V73ee434e"]=> array(9) { ["charset"]=> string(5) "UTF-8" ["locale"]=> string(2) "en" ["logLevel"]=> int(3) ["hostspec"]=> string(16) "http://127.0.0.1" ["recordClass"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["prevalidate"]=> bool(false) ["database"]=> string(11) "DD_Personal" ["username"]=> string(14) "xxxx" ["password"]=> string(12) "xxxx" } ["Vea4b3413"]=> NULL ["V9a3dcbce"]=> NULL } ["V5431b8d4"]=> resource(28) of type (Unknown) ["V6de51026"]=> bool(false) ["_result"]=> NULL ["_layout"]=> NULL } ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(1) { [0]=> string(563) "" } } [4]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(130) "/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/php/el capitan/lib/php/FileMaker/Implementation/Command/FindAnyImpl.php" ["line"]=> int(17) ["function"]=> string(10) "_getResult" ["class"]=> string(32) "FileMaker_Command_Implementation" ["object"]=> object(FileMaker_Command_FindAny_Implementation)#4 (19) { ["_findCriteria"]=> array(0) { } ["Vd65662c5"]=> array(0) { } ["Va9136a07"]=> array(0) { } ["Vf951bdce"]=> NULL ["V83f28691"]=> NULL ["V85fd701e"]=> NULL ["V6da136ea"]=> NULL ["V568aa2ec"]=> NULL ["_fm"]=> &object(FileMaker_Implementation)#2 (3) { ["V73ee434e"]=> array(9) { ["charset"]=> string(5) "UTF-8" ["locale"]=> string(2) "en" ["logLevel"]=> int(3) ["hostspec"]=> string(16) "http://127.0.0.1" ["recordClass"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["prevalidate"]=> bool(false) ["database"]=> string(11) "DD_Personal" ["username"]=> string(14) "xxxx" ["password"]=> string(12) "xxxx" } ["Vea4b3413"]=> NULL ["V9a3dcbce"]=> NULL } ["_layout"]=> string(23) "BW Newsletter2Go Import" ["V7a2db0ea"]=> NULL ["_script"]=> NULL ["_scriptParams"]=> NULL ["_preReqScript"]=> NULL ["_preReqScriptParams"]=> NULL ["_preSortScript"]=> NULL ["_preSortScriptParams"]=> NULL ["V0b9a204c"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["_recordId"]=> NULL } ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(1) { [0]=> string(563) "" } } [5]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(103) "/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/php/el capitan/lib/php/FileMaker/Command.php" ["line"]=> int(137) ["function"]=> string(7) "execute" ["class"]=> string(40) "FileMaker_Command_FindAny_Implementation" ["object"]=> object(FileMaker_Command_FindAny_Implementation)#4 (19) { ["_findCriteria"]=> array(0) { } ["Vd65662c5"]=> array(0) { } ["Va9136a07"]=> array(0) { } ["Vf951bdce"]=> NULL ["V83f28691"]=> NULL ["V85fd701e"]=> NULL ["V6da136ea"]=> NULL ["V568aa2ec"]=> NULL ["_fm"]=> &object(FileMaker_Implementation)#2 (3) { ["V73ee434e"]=> array(9) { ["charset"]=> string(5) "UTF-8" ["locale"]=> string(2) "en" ["logLevel"]=> int(3) ["hostspec"]=> string(16) "http://127.0.0.1" ["recordClass"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["prevalidate"]=> bool(false) ["database"]=> string(11) "DD_Personal" ["username"]=> string(14) "xxxx" ["password"]=> string(12) "xxxx" } ["Vea4b3413"]=> NULL ["V9a3dcbce"]=> NULL } ["_layout"]=> string(23) "BW Newsletter2Go Import" ["V7a2db0ea"]=> NULL ["_script"]=> NULL ["_scriptParams"]=> NULL ["_preReqScript"]=> NULL ["_preReqScriptParams"]=> NULL ["_preSortScript"]=> NULL ["_preSortScriptParams"]=> NULL ["V0b9a204c"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["_recordId"]=> NULL } ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(0) { } } [6]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(64) "/Library/FileMaker Server/HTTPServer/htdocs/newsletter/index.php" ["line"]=> int(32) ["function"]=> string(7) "execute" ["class"]=> string(17) "FileMaker_Command" ["object"]=> object(FileMaker_Command_FindAny)#3 (1) { ["_impl"]=> object(FileMaker_Command_FindAny_Implementation)#4 (19) { ["_findCriteria"]=> array(0) { } ["Vd65662c5"]=> array(0) { } ["Va9136a07"]=> array(0) { } ["Vf951bdce"]=> NULL ["V83f28691"]=> NULL ["V85fd701e"]=> NULL ["V6da136ea"]=> NULL ["V568aa2ec"]=> NULL ["_fm"]=> &object(FileMaker_Implementation)#2 (3) { ["V73ee434e"]=> array(9) { ["charset"]=> string(5) "UTF-8" ["locale"]=> string(2) "en" ["logLevel"]=> int(3) ["hostspec"]=> string(16) "http://127.0.0.1" ["recordClass"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["prevalidate"]=> bool(false) ["database"]=> string(11) "DD_Personal" ["username"]=> string(14) "xxxx" ["password"]=> string(12) "xxxx" } ["Vea4b3413"]=> NULL ["V9a3dcbce"]=> NULL } ["_layout"]=> string(23) "BW Newsletter2Go Import" ["V7a2db0ea"]=> NULL ["_script"]=> NULL ["_scriptParams"]=> NULL ["_preReqScript"]=> NULL ["_preReqScriptParams"]=> NULL ["_preSortScript"]=> NULL ["_preSortScriptParams"]=> NULL ["V0b9a204c"]=> string(16) "FileMaker_Record" ["_recordId"]=> NULL } } ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(0) { } } } ["callback"]=> NULL } Any help would be much appreciated!