bcooney

Multi-window Virtual Lists

4 posts in this topic

I have a popover portal that displays a virtual list. My client would like to have two or more windows open at the same time. (ugh, i know).

Currently, if the user has two windows each with a popover portal displayed, they are parsing the same $$vlist, and so one popover's portal is showing the wrong data.

My options seem to be:

• find a way to make the $$vlist window specific
  • find a way to close the first popover if the user makes a different window active (both popovers do not need to be visible at the same time)
  • hide one popover by storing a key in the virtual list that compares the record to this key in the $$vlist, and if the key isn't there, the portal hides. (don't like this UX).

Thoughts? Is there a switched window trigger??

You could use named buckets for the $$var repeats:

$$var[ code(get(windowname)) ]

I've done that for all the other $$vars, Wim. Exactly what you have there (although I put Code(get(window name)) in a CF to save typing.

Hmm...why did I think that my virtual list wouldn't work this way? 

Wim! Thank you. Works perfectly.

Any suggestions as to how I can cleanup all the $$vars? I'm using them for $$active.button[wincode] in button bars, too. I suppose I can use custom menus mapped to Close and there run a cleanup script.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ben Moore
      I am trying to create a list of dates from multiple tables to create a gantt chart.  My projects have Shipping dates, Installation dates and task item dates.  Each of which come from their own tables.  Is there a good way to import all of these dates into one table related to the project, each with it's own record of Start date and end date.
      I'd rather have:
      Project | Item | Start_Date | End_Date|
      than:
      Project | Install_Start_Date | Install_End_Date| Ship_date | Ship_Arrive_Date | Task_Start_Date | Task_End_date
    • By Chris Scalzi
      I'm not sure if this has been answered before but I'm trying to figure out if there is any way of making a virtual list searchable. I can create buttons that will modify the eSQL search and add parameters to the search in a fairly complex way but I'm talking about just hitting the search button and searching within the table.
      I know that calculation fields cannot be searched, I have also attempted to make a text field with a calculated result with full indexing and it seems to still not be working. Any thoughts?
    • By Ocean West

File Name: MultiPage Letters
      File Submitter: Ocean West
      File Submitted: 21 Apr 2013
      File Category: Samples
      FM Version: 13

Concept uses a large text block for data entry, the script will parse for paragraph returns and then uses the Virtual List technique to print the multi page letter.
      Also will allow for a scanned image of a signature to be appended and will slide up to the bottom of the body copy.

Also allows for manually inserting a page break by using <break> in body of text.

Click here to download this file
    • By Rick Horowitz

Is there a way to make a popover open with a script? I see a "Close Popover" script step, but I don't see one for opening a popover.
      I'm trying to make a window pop up for creating a new record when someone clicks on a link in the Virtual List Sidebar Menu I've got going.
      Maybe I'm supposed to just use a floating window for that? I want a window where someone clicks in the menu, the window pops up, and they have to deal with it – either filling out the form, or cancelling – before they can move on with anything else.
      I'm thinking maybe it can't be done because...where you going to stick the popover in layout mode? But if I can't do that, what's next? Floating window? Modal window? 
      Thanks, in advance, for any input. 

--
      Rick Horowitz
      Filemaker n00b
    • By Ocean West
      Concept uses a large text block for data entry, the script will parse for paragraph returns and then uses the Virtual List technique to print the multi page letter.
      Also will allow for a scanned image of a signature to be appended and will slide up to the bottom of the body copy.

Also allows for manually inserting a page break by using <break> in body of text.