Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Document Management Solution - Pros / Cons

This topic is 2565 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

Software we have:

1. FMS 15
  2. Filemaker Pro 15

At present we are developing an inhouse application to aid us in capturing Scoping Work for Engineering Projects, this we have under control, however we want to go one step further and have a simple document management solution, where we can store the necessary documents required to the Scoping Work. 

Now I have searched and there seems to be plenty of *solutions* out there, but how to sort the wheat from the charf so to speak.

I want to hear from anyone(not developers) whom is using any of these solutions for Document Management and what are the pros and cons or limitations you have found and most of all and more important what is the support like from these developers.

Cheers .....

Kevin.

Well Kevin,

Despite your instructions not to respond (since I am a FM developer), I will offer this advice:

FileMaker is a database development tool. It is not an off-the-shelf solution. Yes, there are some templates available, but the idea is that you build what you need.

So, define what you mean by "Document Management" and start from there. Btw, I do feel that FM can be used to build such a solution.

hth,

Barbara

Hi All,

It seems the error of my ways have been pointed out many times. 

• What I am actually looking for are replies from end users whom have already implemented a Document Management System based on Filemaker. I should have defined developers as those whom have commerical solutions available such as DocuBin / Azor / Fullcity etc. I just want honest unbiased replies on users experiences.

I dont need a full blown Document Management software that is handling 1000's of documents but rather link back documents required for the scoping process, such as PID, Drawings, Datasheets etc, which I can run locally on a small mac mini, when we do Project Scoping.

Apologies for any confusion.

Kind Regards,

Kevin.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.