Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Left Menu Area for Navigation

This topic is 2556 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm brand new to Filemaker. I'm trying to figure out how to make a left menu area that will appear in all of my layouts for navigation purposes.  To switch from layout to layout easily for the user when my application goes live.

I'm not even sure if this is possible, but from what I'm reading, it looks like it may not be.

Would there be a way to split a layout into two vertical sections, the left one being the menu (which I can duplicate on every layout if necessary, though that would be a pain), and the right area where the actual program interactions appear?

I'm so new that I'm not even what the correct terminology is.

Thanks!

Okay thanks... I'm actually learning about Top Header Navigation Parts.  That would be fine for me, though I'd prefer it on the left, I can manage with something on the top.  

It still looks like I need to copy and paste the button bar into every layout that I want it to be in. I'd love if it just would automagically appear.  

2 hours ago, Cynthia Heyman said:

Okay thanks... I'm actually learning about Top Header Navigation Parts.  That would be fine for me, though I'd prefer it on the left, I can manage with something on the top.  

It still looks like I need to copy and paste the button bar into every layout that I want it to be in. I'd love if it just would automagically appear.  

Or create the 'perfect layout' with the button bar and use it as your template.  Then copy the blank layout when creating new layouts.

Hi Cynthia and welcome to the FM Forums,

This file came to mind from the posts in the thread.

https://blog.beezwax.net/2016/11/22/fun-with-filemaker-button-bars-part-2-expert-panel/

I remember other example files being made available right after the introduction of Button Bars. I see if I can find more.

Lee

This topic is 2556 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.