How to stop more than one import

This topic is 2543 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a script for the user to import an EXCEL file into the Database. I noticed though if the system is slow for some reason and the user does not look at the records tab to see that records have been imported the user may click import again thus doubling the data. How do I keep the user from inputting the same data twice? Here is my script:

Go to Layout ["Choir Catalog Details" (ChoirCatalog)]

Import Records [With dialog:off; Source: "CatalogImport.xlsx"; Worksheet: "Choral"; Add; Windows ANSI]

Show All Records

Thank you. 

I don't think we have enough information here to answer this. If the user is supposed to import the file only once, why don't you do it for them? If they need to import it periodically, then of course they will import it several times. Perhaps you need to look into updating existing records as the import method.

Ok, here is what I am trying to explain. The database is built for other people to download. I will not be there to be able to import for them. So if a person gets my database and has an EXCEL spreadsheet of their library I am giving them the option to import into their new database via a script. But I noticed on their initial database that if they do not understand that it already imported that they will click on the import button again and now they have doubled their imports. Does that make sense? I will then have a script where they can update their database by Excel if they want later on when they get more data to add. 

I am not sure how you know the name and the file path of their Excel library. But if you do, and you want to make sure they only import it once, then have your script check a field (say in a one-record Preferences table) before importing, and set this field to 1 once the import has run successfully.

Thank you. I am having them put their Excel file in the same directory and folder where this database will be installed. I will try this. Again thank you. 

This topic is 2543 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.