Roark Holz

Managing FileMaker 15 External Containers

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I am wondering if someone can help me understand how external container fields work in FileMaker 15. For testing purposes I have created a very simple database shared from our FileMaker 15 Server, the database has two fields, a single text field and a single container field. I have set the container field to store files externally which works, the files end up in a subfolder on the FileMaker server where the database itself resides. 

Now I would like to change the external location where the files associated with the container are stored, I found a section in the manual called "Managing external storage of container data" but this is where I am running into a problem. While logged into the database as the admin user I go to File-->Manage Containers. There is one location listed under Base Directories: "[hosted location]/Container Test/" however all of the buttons that I should be able to use to manage my containers are grayed out (New..., Edit..., Delete and Transfer Data...). The only buttons in there that work are cancel and OK. It seems like a permissions problem but I am logged in as the admin user with full access.

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Ultimately I would like files uploaded to my container fields to be stored on a file share, either referenced by UNC path or by mapping a network drive. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.

2 hours ago, Roark Holz said:

Ultimately I would like files uploaded to my container fields to be stored on a file share, either referenced by UNC path or by mapping a network drive. 

Nope, won't work.  That's not what the remote container feature is about.  You're after a document management feature with the files being shared.

The RC feature is just how FM internally manages container data to keep the file size down and backups efficient.  Just like you wouldn't place the FM file itself on a network share you don't want to put the RC data on a network share.  It's still live FM data.

Ok, thank you for your response, that was helpful. Our FileMaker server is running on a Hyper-V guest but there is some limitation as to the drive space available so I thought it would be advantageous to store these attachments elsewhere, especially since they will only be accessed rarely. I do think there are some third party solutions that add this functionality so perhaps I'll look into one of those.

I am still confused however as to what the "Manage Containers" menu option does if you can't change where your container data is stored? And I'm also still confused as to why those buttons are grayed out to me. Not that I guess it matters much if I can't use them the way I was hoping to.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Please update your profile to reflect your current FileMaker version, OS and Platform.

20 minutes ago, Roark Holz said:

I am still confused however as to what the "Manage Containers" menu option does if you can't change where your container data is stored?

If you have the file hosted on FMS, there is only a couple of locations that the RC data can go, which is why those options are greyed out for a hosted file.  For a non-hosted local file you can pick pretty much any location.

1 minute ago, Wim Decorte said:

If you have the file hosted on FMS, there is only a couple of locations that the RC data can go, which is why those options are greyed out for a hosted file.  For a non-hosted local file you can pick pretty much any location.

OK now I understand, thanks again for your help!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By milanm
      Has anyone had the following issue and might have a quick fix. I migrated client files from FM Server 13 residing on Mac Server to FM Server 14 residing on Windows Server. All went very well except one thing, which i would be grateful if someone could help me on.   PREVIOUS STATE   - The client had his files hosted on OX platform and with FileMaker 13 Server. - There is a container field in the records that would contain pdf files, these are 1 or more pages document files. - When the user dragged the file into the container field it would display as page thumbnail BOTH on Mac and Windows.   AFTER THE MIGRATION TO WINDOWS SERVER   - files still display thumbnails when dragged on MAC - the files are displaying FILE ICON when dragged into the container on WINDOWS.   Tech boards are suggesting that Windows can not insert the file as picture into the FM container field, but there it happened before. Does anyone have any isight on this behaviour, is it documented anywhere? Thank you
    • By dysong3
      I have a number of scripts that have worked perfectly for years in previous versions of FileMaker, however in FMP 15 they causse FM to crash.  They only way I have found to avoid the crash is to use the debugger and to use the "step into" button.  That of course is a very cumbersome workaround. You can see one of the culprits below.  Anyone have any ideas what's wrong here?

• By matthewrollinson
      Hi!
      I recently moved my Filemaker databases to a new Windows server. And since then, I’m having sporadic “Database Server process has terminated abnormally” Error 701. This is accompanied in the Windows event logs with application error 1000, and these are the details:
      Faulting application name: fmserver.exe, version: 15.0.3.308, time stamp: 0x58124553
      Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18438, time stamp: 0x57ae642e
      Exception code: 0xc0000374
      Fault offset: 0x00000000000f1b70
      Faulting process id: 0x624
      Faulting application start time: 0x01d2a8b983d812e3
      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Database Server\fmserver.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
      Report Id: 2fea4014-160e-11e7-80c2-109836ac1fba
      Faulting package full name:
      Faulting package-relative application ID:
      This did not happen on the older Windows Server, which was 2008. The new server is 2012 R2 Standard
      It first occurred on the first day I starting using the databases on the new server. So updated FM Server 15 to latest (15.3). I then performed all available Windows updates, updated Java. Then a few days elapsed before Filemaker failed again, with exact same errors.
      So I performed a recover on the databases within Filemaker, just to check. All fine. I also downgraded FM Server to version 14 to eliminate FM Server 15 as an issue. After downgrading to 14 we had 6 days then before it failed. But last night it went again with same errors.
      It seems to occur when a scheduled Filemaker script is being run on the server. But oddly, when the server is quiet, ie. After 18:00 when people have logged off and gone home, or at lunch break.  The Filemaker scripts are run every 30 mins during office hours, so run many many times over the days between failures with success, and did so for years before I moved to new server.
      When the 701 error occurs, I’m forced to reboot the server. It doesn’t auto restart the process after failure.
      I would be incredibly grateful for any advice on this. Anyone aware of issues similar?
    • By 123
      Hey,
      I want to use the same header on all my layouts in FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced but I can't seem to find a way to accomplish it. I read on Google and other forums that there is no way to do it, however the posts I found are all at least a year or two old. Did they add a way to do it in FileMaker 15 or do I still need to duplicate a layout to get the same header on a different one?
      Thanks in advance,
      Mike
    • By 123
      Hey,
      I have a Tab-Separated Text File which I want to import to a database that I just created in FileMaker Pro 15. The text file essentially is a log of events, for instance, one line describes an order, another line describes a payment that has been made. The problem is that I somehow need to import all these lines into different tables. I want all lines in the log file that describe a payment in a table called Payments, and all lines that describe an order in a table called Orders for example.
      I'm just starting out with FileMaker so forgive me if there is an obvious solution that I'm not aware of. I have a background in software development, so the only solution that I can think of is writing a small program myself that does all the parsing for me and creates separate text files that contain all the orders and payments and other events that have been logged in the file. Then I could simply import each file into the table I need all the data in. 
      So to sum everything up, my main question is if there is a way to somehow parse the text file before importing it. I know that you can create custom scripts in FileMaker but I'm not sure if what I need to do can be done just with that.
      Thanks in advance,
      Mike