Kevin Groder

Un able to Export Reocrds as fmp12

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

Has anyone else found that you are unable to export .fmp12 records from FM 16? I use this step in many scripts and the first machine I upgraded ( out of 48 ) I get the "unable to save file" error every time. FM 15 works, FM 16 fails on the same DB, same table, same record set. I can't even export manually.

I made a screen movie here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOGcm4bt86o

Change the file options, but remember any of v16 "New to this release" will not work.

File >> File Options >> Open 

1 hour ago, Kevin Groder said:

export .fmp12

BTW, all files made in v12 through v16 have the file extension of .fmp12

Hi Lee, I'm not sure what you mean. Change the file options for Minimum Version Allowed? ... and yes, I understand that .fmp12 has been standard for a while, thanks.

Thank you, I appreciate your help, but I'm don't think you understand my problem. I am unable to Export Records from v16 even though this works from v15. Opening or importing files is not an issue.

Did you actually try a different file name?

Posted (edited)

Yes, I've tried several Dbs and several machines (PC... Mac is fine) and various file names for the export.

Edited by Kevin Groder

Your example does not show that; and it is hard to tell whether you are using an extension in the file name.

Yes, I tried using no extension and letting FM add it and I tried adding the .fmp12 extension. I didn't bother to record all that. I've also checked disk and user permissions. I am convinced it is something in the new v16 because, as the video shows, v15 works just fine. FM Tech hasn't been much help.

Just some further clarification per Lee's suggestion:

I upgraded to FMS 16. This was smooth fast and simple, though I am struggling a bit with installing a wildcard SSL Cert, but that' another story for another day.
Most of my network is running PCs and all of those are Win 7. I have a handful of Mac clients but they all work fine with this exporting issue... it's only the Win 7 machines having this issue.

My personal workstation used for development and such is a late generation Macbook Pro running Sierra and Parallels Desktop for Windows development/testing.

Thank you all for you help.

Yes,sir.

Have you tried exporting to a different location? Desktop might have a security issue.

Yes, TempPath, documents, C:, etc... all the same result for v16... fine for v15.

What if you quit FileMaker 15?

Do you have any plugins installed?

Quitting FM 15 has no affect. I use TroiFile and is updated to the most recent version. Haven't tried removing it but I guess i could.

Yes it's best to eliminate as many variables as possible. Have you tried exporting from a local (non-hosted) file?

Yes, same problem with local files. I'll try removing plugins and see if that makes a difference.

Problem solved... it was unknowingly self inflicted.

I use Assisted Install and had set NONEWDATABASES=1, thinking this was only related to File>New Solution... it didn’t occur to me that this extended to Export records, which, of course, it does, since export creates a new fmp12 file.

I’ve adjust the assisted install parameters and reinstalled… all is well.

Thanks for your help. Maybe my error will help someone else who has made the same assumption.

Thanks for reporting back -- that's an obscure one for sure! Good job.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ggt667
      When exporting XML as fmxmlresult.xml when does FileMaker populate the content of the layout attribute?
      Usually it looks like
      <DATABASE DATEFORMAT="D/m/yyyy" LAYOUT="" NAME="Menu.fp7" RECORDS="51" TIMEFORMAT="k:mm:ss "/> Yet sometimes it looks like this
      <DATABASE DATEFORMAT="D/m/yyyy" LAYOUT="menu" NAME="Menu.fp7" RECORDS="51" TIMEFORMAT="k:mm:ss "/> Then again when querying the XML RPC it always look like this
      <datasource database="Menu.fp7" date-format="MM/dd/yyyy" layout="menu" table="Menu" time-format="HH:mm:ss" timestamp-format="MM/dd/yyyy HH:mm:ss" total-count="0" /> Asking the question myself, answering the question myself as well. Checking the following checkbox populates the LAYOUT-attribute of FMPXMLRESULT

• By fm8443
      I have 4 Tables of Sales Records (1 per Store) for the same 1000 products (each sold in the 4 Stores).   Table1 (T1) has 30,000 records T2 has 50,000 records T3 has 10,000 records T4 has 10,000 records   The fields in the 4 Tables have different names and contain similar “core” content.   Tables are added to each month with additional records (imported into FM 14 Pro Advanced from Excel).   Unfortunately the same Products are named slightly differently in each of the 4 tables.  Each store / table has a (text) Product-ID but (for the same product) it is different per store. I do want to rectify this “naming problem” (perhaps in a Table #5?)  so I can produce a report showing sales for each of the 1000 products across all 4 stores (grouped by date etc.) I’m not sure how to structure/carry-out this in Filemaker most effectively.  Any ideas?   Ultimately, when the data is clean, I want to upload ALL the records (e.g. 100,000 records) in one export into one Excel spreadsheet so I can run a Pivot Table (Cross-Tab) report.   Do I need to combine the 4 Tables into 1 Master Table before doing an Export on the Master Table? If so, how would I do this?   Thanks for any ideas about this?
    • By shevyshevy
      I have come across this technique severally on this forum, but I can't figure out how this really works. Right now I am faced with a situation that requires similar technique and I can't seem to get it work.
      I have Table A and Table B.
      1. I want to script an import Process that will first export all records in Table A into Table B (kinda A Clone Copy of Table A) Thats just my basic objective
      2. Then from there, I would want to be able to do similar Process but this time, I will only update the records in Table B with that of Table A using a match field.
      3. I will also love to perform the process based on a found count. ie after performing a find of specific records
      I think If I can be guided on achieving NO. 1, then I can similarly script the others..

• By Cyrus
      I'm using Filemaker Pro 11 in Windows 7, trying to automate the exporting of files from container fields.  I've written a script that goes through all the records to export the files in the container fields while skipping empty container fields.  The code works well, except that there are a number of records with container fields where I get the "Container fields cannot be exported." error.  When I try go to these records and try manually exporting the container field contents by right clicking, the "Export Field Contents..." option is grayed out, though I am able to open the document and then manually save it.  There are, however, way too many of these cases for me to practically do this one by one, so I'm hoping if someone has an idea what's going on here and how I might be able to automate the exporting of these fields that are giving me this error.

To help me troubleshoot this, I wrote a shorter code that focused on exporting the field contents of just one record.  This helped me figure out which records were giving me this error.  Here's the code:

If[not(isEmpty(TABLENAME_::FIELDNAME))]
           Set Variable [$filePath; Value:"filewin:" & Get(DocumentsPath) & TABLENAME_::TABLE_ID_FIELD]
           Export Field Contents [TABLENAME_::FIELDNAME; "$filePath"]
      End If

I've been searching and trying a bunch of different things, but with no luck.  Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    • By 34South
      I have developed a solution for IOS devices which also utilizes scripts that facilitate importing of GPS coordinates and especially photos from the device, i.e. iPhone or iPad, within FMGo. Although I have scripted the possibility of emailing images originally captured by the solution outside of the solution, there does not seem to be a possibility for exporting the captured image to the Photos app and thus pushing them to the iCloud. I know one could first capture the image in the Camera app and then import it into a container within the solution, but this distracts from the all-in-one nature of my solution, where quick image capture is paramount. Ideally, the user would use the solution to capture the image and related contextual data, but also elect to save such an image in the Photo app at a later stage to permit sharing it to social media apps, for example.
       I'm fairly advanced, having used FM since the Claris days.