Recover opening files in the same window

This topic is 2526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I see that, as a new Filemaker's 16 feature, every fm file opens in a new window instead a unique windows for all files.  This is a good advance but, in some situations, we need to maintain the old behavior.  Is this still possible by any preference o script step?

Edited by adduartes

Not sure what you mean by the old behavior.  Can you describe it a bit better?

The big windowing change is only on Windows where the overall application window (app shell) is no longer there.  But even then each file always opened in its own window.

What is it that you find you can not do anymore?  Minimize the whole application at once?

• Newbies

I mean that, in FM 15 and earlier, if I set the overall application window at a fixed size, all file's opened windows fitted in this overall application window and it was a usefull option, at least for me. 

Now, as you've noticed, each file opens in its own windows and there's no option to use an overall application windows for all files opened.

8 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

Not sure what you mean by the old behavior.  Can you describe it a bit better?

The big windowing change is only on Windows where the overall application window (app shell) is no longer there.  But even then each file always opened in its own window.

What is it that you find you can not do anymore?  Minimize the whole application at once?

Now, as you've noticed, each file opens in its own windows and there's no option to use an overall application windows for all files opened.

Hooray! Begone, thee vile app window!

Whilst I really like the new behaviour on PCs, I too have clients for whom having multiple windows visible will be at best a confusing change and at worst - well who knows (it depends how well I programmed things in the past!)

I guess you could mimic the old behaviour by hiding all windows except the one you want to be active.  Perhaps a script something like this would help

Script: Hide Other Windows

Set Variable [ $activeWindow; Value:Get(WindowName) ] 
Set Variable [ $allWindows; Value:WindowNames ]
Set Variable [ $iMax; Value:ValueCount ( $allWindows ) ] 
Set Variable [ $i; Value:1 ] 
#loop over all windows and close all but active window. 
Loop
  Set Variable [ $window; Value:GetValue( $allWindows ; $i ) ] 
  If [ $window ≠ $activeWindow ]
    #Remember to uncheck "Current file only" for multi file solutions
    Select Window [ Name: $window ]
    Adjust Window [ Hide ]
  End If
  Exit Loop If [ Let( $i = $i + 1 ; $i > $iMax ) ]
End Loop

• Like 1

Josh,

I would guess that Adduartes issue is similar to my own.

Until version 16 I have always run my database windows maximised under Microsoft Windows to avoid the mess that is two sets of window borders and,even worse, the database window half disappearing behind the application window.

So the PC users are used to seeing only a single window at a time.  Clearly 16 offers a whole new world of options for window management on PCs, but, initially, I would want to reproduce the former behaviour in 16 before assessing how to take best advantage of the new possibilities.  One of my clients might end up with close to 20 full screen windows by the end of a day in 16 compared to a single visible window in 15.  Hence my script for hiding all but the active window (I will also need to ensure that windows are lo longer maximised but adjusted to fit instead.)

When I moved for PC to Mac a few years ago it took some time to get used to having so many more windows to deal with and at first it seemed very 'messy' to have so many windows and more difficult to locate the window I was looking for.  

My aim is to ensure the migration to FileMaker 16 is a easy as possible for users and then add any additional windows in a considered and controlled manner.

Hopefully you can now understand the issues that SDI raises for some of us on PCs :) 

FMP-Windows.png

• Like 1

I spent 8 of my 10 years developing on Windows. So I am familiar with the pain.  It may just be a difference in development. I almost never have the user have more than one window open. Unless it's a temporary, comparison driven task, or a customized dialog style window.

You open up a lot of record locking issues with so many windows open. Other than that, the I close windows as the user moves to something else. There are some versions of FM that are just a performance hog. If the windows the user has open are from multiple files, FM is obliged to update the cache files on the local machine for as long as they are open. So for any records that FM has touched, or thought about, or needed to calculate something, it was downloaded to the local cache. When another user updates a record you have downloaded to the cache, FMS sends that record to the local cache. That can become a very chatty network, indeed!! In addition to the performance impact.

Just some thoughts. Not dismissing that it is a big change. But it is one that most users have been asking for, for a long, long time.

• Like 1

Josh,

Thanks, that is an interesting perspective.  I must admit that 20 windows was a worst case scenario and unlikely to happen in general usage; I guess I was trying to emphasise the point :) .  Reflecting on the workflow, most users would need to have 4 windows available but currently only one visible and active.   

Your point about cache updating is very interesting - I shall definitely be looking into this further in this particular solution (which dates back to year 2000 and fp5 file format)

I get exactly where you are at. My first dive into development was taking a system from FMP 4...and reworking the workflow, and adding a ton of features. 

With the capabilities of the modern versions of FM, there may be some opportunities to consolidate that down into a single UI file that reaches out to the other files and uses there data. Classic separation model use-case. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and if you need tips or have questions. You know where to find us!! lol

• Like 1

This topic is 2526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.