Show distinct value in portal technique--problem?

Rich S

This topic is 2530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, all:

I tried implementing the following technique into my solution and for the life of me, I can't get the portal to show records when the filter is enabled; without it enabled, I see the duplicate values just fine so at least I know the parent-child relationship is working. I was wondering if you could take a peek and see if there's a subtle or glaring error with the technique as written:

https://scarpettagroup.com/filemaker-portal-show-distinct-value-tutorial/

I wrote to the author for clarification but I haven't heard back from him yet; I'm under the gun to get a project done this morning, if possible, so if you don't see any errors with the technique then I know it's me...though I really tried to faithfully reproduce the technique here.

TIA for your time!

Rich

Edited by WF7A

I stopped reading the linked article at the second sentence, where it says:

how to do this using a self-relationship combined with a portal filter

If you want to use a portal filter (which is suitable when the number of related records is small), then there is no reason to use a relationship too - see:
http://fmforums.com/topic/71906-getting-more-out-of-filtered-portals-3unique-values/?do=findComment&comment=375983

If, OTOH, you need to use a relationship (where portal filtering would be too slow), then do it all with relationships - do a search for the "Ugo method".

This topic is 2530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.