Peter Wagemans

Save Records as PDF on Server 16 - error 800

2 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I tried to move a script that creates a PDF ( and mails it ) to a server side script, as the "save records as PDF" script step is now supported in server side scripts.

It did not work correctly, and generated an error 800 (file could not be created on disk) in the server log. Rather generic error.

I changed the script to point to a blank layout instead. No more error. A nice blank PDF was created.

I put a text box with "test" in it on the layout, Arial 12 point. -> error 800

I removed the text box and put a png graphic on the layout -> OK

I put a text box in a font that I was sure of the server did not have -> OK!

I tried this several times, 2 several fonts, and the results and errors were consistent. So if during the PDF creation, the server replaces the font reference by its own replacement font reference, it is able to save as PDF. If a reference lik "Arial" is used, it fails and the server reports the generic error that it can not create the file on disk (800).

I'm using MacOS 10.12.4 as client and Window Server 2012R2 as the server. Maybe there is a cross platform issue here? As always, more testing is required.

Can anyone confirm similar issues? Any workarounds that are known? Any thoughts and insights?

Is it possible that the Arial font installed on your server machine is corrupt/defective? While I don't know what the error code means, this reminds me fonts not showing in InDesign or Illustrator. Or maybe it's an old Arial font, TrueType instead of OpenType? Maybe FMS 16 only supports OpenType? I can't find any specifics on this, but might start investigating there.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Cable
      I have several reports that use Google Charts displayed through a web viewer to display a "'gas gauge" type of chart. This is a very popular style for our dashboard reports to the point where it is a requirement.
      I originally started using them in FileMaker 14 and they worked great. When FileMaker 15 came out they wouldn't work at first but then did after an update to the code.
      I'm now testing Filemaker 16 and they're back to not working properly.
      They do display on the screen just fine but if you try to print preview, print, or Send to PDF they do not show.
      Does anybody have experience with this or know if a setting changed in FMPA 16 that could be causing them to not print?
    • By wojeezy08
      My end goal is to have a button that, when clicked:
      1. Opens a pdf form from my server
      2. Fills in the form using data entered into FileMaker (I'm using FileMaker 10)

I'm on step one and and trying to use the "Open File" script, however it's not working.  Can the "Open File" script be used to open non-Filemaker files, such as PDFs?

• By Binu Alexander
      I need a layout with larger number of text fields which may have long words .. currently words are being split randomly and overflowing into new lines ..    eg .. for the word 'accordingly';   'accordingl' comes on the first line and 'ly' comes on the second line. Is there a way that filemaker can hyphenate large words and insert breaks so that  it breaks in a more clean manner ?

• By troi
      Troi Automatisering releases Troi File Plug-in 8.6.1 for FileMaker Pro 15

Updated file management plug-in for FileMaker Pro 15 improves UnZIP, Metadata and several other functions.

Alphen aan den Rijn, Netherlands, 23 January, 2017--Troi Automatisering today announced the immediate availability of Troi File Plug-in 8.6.1 for FileMaker Pro 15.

What is new in version 8.6.1?

Version 8.6.1 is a maintenance update of our plug-in for manipulating external files and folders directly from FileMaker Pro. In this version we improved the handling on Windows of certain ZIP files with the TrFile_UnZIP function. This version also improves parsing newer PDF versions, like PDF 1.7 with the TrFile_MetaData( "-GetPDFDescription") function. On MacOS X the TrFile_MetaData( "-GetMovieDescription") function now returns timecode data for movies. Several other functions were improved as well and we fixed some potential problems with the DragAndDrop function on macOS X.

More detailed information on all changes and improvements implemented in Troi File Plug-in 8.6.1 and earlier can be found at: http://www.troi.com/software/filehistory.html

Pricing & Availability

A fully functional demo version of Troi File Plug-in 8.6.1 is available for downloading at Troi's Web site at: http://www.troi.com/software/fileplugin.html

Licenses cost US$ 99 per user. Details on developer licenses and multi-user discounts can be found on our web site. You can order licenses from our web site.

Upgrading to version 8.6.1 is free and recommended for all users of version 8.5 and 8.6: version 8.6.1 works with the same registration as the 8.5 version. Users who bought a license for Troi File Plug-in on or after November 1st, 2015 are entitled to a free upgrade to version 8.6.1. Eligible users have been sent a new 8.5 registration. Contact us if you have not received yours. 

Upgrades from licenses bought before November 1st, 2015, are available from US$ 59 per user. Upgrade prices for other licenses can be found on our web site. You can order upgrades from our web site.

Contact information  

D. Budding
      Troi Automatisering

Newsroom: http://www.troi.com/news/

• By Bill_misc_IT
      I have a solution to track employee expense reports which contains a container to store a pdf of related receipts.  Currently, I create a multiple page pdf of receipts in Apple Preview, then paste it into the container.  Was wondering if it was possible to create a FM script or AppleScript to drop a single, additional pdf into the container and "automatically" create multiple page pdf with the existing container contents?
      Thanks in advance!