unrelated locked formatting

This topic is 2503 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

8 hours ago, Dr.Gopala krishnam raju AMBATI said:

why the formatting of unrelated fields

If fields on a layout are unrelated to the table occurrence the layout is based upon then no, you can't modify those unrelated fields.  That is standard behavior in FM.  You must create a relationship even if it is a cartesian join.  Also an exception would be if those 'unrelated' fields are global.

Edited by LaRetta
corrected 'table' to 'table occurrence'

1 hour ago, LaRetta said:

If fields on a layout are unrelated to the table the layout is based upon then no, you can't modify those unrelated fields.

Are you sure about this? I seem to be able to format unrelated fields with no problems. Or perhaps we're not talking about the same thing. 

Edited by comment

When he mentioned he could not format the fields, I assumed (yes, meBad) he meant could not enter the field in browse mode.  I was unclear ... I meant he can not modify those unrelated RECORDS.  Poor wording on my part.

no

On 6/1/2017 at 1:12 AM, LaRetta said:

When he mentioned he could not format the fields, I assumed (yes, meBad) he meant could not enter the field in browse mode.  I was unclear ... I meant he can not modify those unrelated RECORDS.  Poor wording on my part.

no i am not able to edit the formatting of fields related to other tables and not even able to change edit box drop down vice versa in fm 16 adv i have selected the field u can see formatting bar locked - tables are related and not global fields reported to filemaker inc want to clarify - hope i am clear from here 59397ca4c4e95_2017-06-0822_04_36-AboutFileMakerProAdvanced....png.5b5a4fa5ad700330af586a7b98614e4b.png59397bf9a80e8_2017-06-0822_00_38-SIMBU2COM.thumb.png.57e5cb3eda1901242727635f5b047a34.png

Edited by Dr.Gopala krishnam raju AMBATI

Is that field formatted as a button? Look at the Layout Object List and see if it is. If it is, you need to select the field, not the group. ( Making a field a button automatically creates a button object that is grouped with the field ).

hello Gopala Krishnam Raju,

Thank you for contacting FileMaker Customer Support. This is a Winsoft version of the software so you will need to speak to them but before you do, we advise that you try changing the theme, as you might be using a theme in FileMaker Pro 15 that is no longer available in 16. Before you change the theme though, be sure to make a backup copy of the database solution first.

If you have any questions, please contact Customer Support on: 0845 603 9100 (United Kingdom) or 01 4073432 (Ireland), Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (excluding holidays)., and reference case number: 170609-000035.

Thank you,

David Griffiths
FileMaker International. – An Apple Subsidiary
2 Furzeground Way
Stockley Park, Uxbridge, Middlesex. UB11 1BB, UK

this is the reply i got :(  some biggie please help me spent 550$ i am sad please

Edited by Dr.Gopala krishnam raju AMBATI

Filemaker 16 got me with this one too if it's what I think it is. I had several fields that were formatted as a button as previously mentioned. In FM15 I could select the field and change the data source and such. In FM16 the options were grayed out and unavailable. What I realized as mentioned was that the field was now grouped. The easiest way I found is to right click the field and choose Arrange > Ungroup.

Ungroup.jpg.0ab487b1588b48312937eb30c0cc7dcd.jpg

I do find this annoying as I have to ungroup to make any changes and in doing so I lose my button setup. After the change I have to reformat as a button again. I often use some pretty complex script parameters so I need to be sure to copy them before I ungroup so I can replace them. It's not a big deal but less convenient than previous behavior.

Edited by Ron Cates

Yes. If you look in the Layout Object list, the group is selected, you can click on any object in the group and the options will become available again.

This is one area where "Hide when..." calcs can get you. Is the calculation on the group, the button, or the field. lol...behavior varies based on where it is.

This topic is 2503 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.