Export Structure (Tables and Fields) to...??

This topic is 2501 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello!

Being an FM novice, and just finishing the structure of my excruciatingly complicated database, I have to wonder...

Is there way to export a list of tables and the fields within each, so I can be sure to include everything on my layouts? I created the layouts a while ago, but then had to redesign quite a bit, and only some bits were auto-added. I just wanted to have a 'checklist' per se, so that I don't have surprises when I actually sit down to USE the beast.

I know I could simply expand all of the tables in the relationship graph and print to PDF, using it as a guide, but just wondered what other options there were.

Thanks in advance for any insight or personal tips!

19 minutes ago, Lee Smith said:

Hi vwgtiturbo and welcome to the FM Forums,

Why not use the tools in FileMaker that you paid for when you purchased the Advance edition.

http://www.filemaker.com/help/15/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Fdocumenting-schemas.html

HTH, 

Lee

Hello Lee, that was an excellent link, thanks! On my Win machine, I get the 'DDR file missing' error (and exporting via XML is nearly useless). I'll try on the Mac. Thanks again!

EDIT: As expected, the process works as expected on the Mac. The DDR is MUCH more interesting than I thought! Talk about handy... Thanks again for the help ;-)

Edited by vwgtiturbo
Additional information

HTML will open in the Browser, and you can get a lot of what you are asking about.

XML will provide a format that can be used in the 

FM Perception

Inspector Pro

Base Elements 

I would start with FM Perception Download the FM Perception and see if that helps.

5 minutes ago, Lee Smith said:

HTML will open in the Browser, and you can get a lot of what you are asking about.

XML will provide a format that can be used in the 

FM Perception

Inspector Pro

Base Elements 

I would start with FM Perception Download the FM Perception and see if that helps.

That looks interesting as well, thanks! I just may have to explore that for future use.

8 hours ago, vwgtiturbo said:

Is there way to export a list of tables and the fields within each, so I can be sure to include everything on my layouts? I created the layouts a while ago, but then had to redesign quite a bit, and only some bits were auto-added. I just wanted to have a 'checklist' per se, so that I don't have surprises when I actually sit down to USE the beast.

Perhaps making new layouts with all fields and no design will suffice in your case?

13 hours ago, vwgtiturbo said:

Is there way to export a list of tables and the fields within each, so I can be sure to include everything on my layouts?

I'm a big fan of the DDR; but here's another approach that would be faster for your purpose:  Create a script and:

1. use the design functions to get a list of fields on the current layout (set a variable to: FieldNames ( get( filename ) ; get(layoutname) ))
  2. Then set another variable to interrogate the hidden metatables: ExecuteSQL( "SELECT FieldName FROM FileMaker_Fields WHERE TableName = ?" ; "" ; "" ; get(layouttablename ))
  3. grab the AntiFilterValues custom function from www.briandunning.com
  4. set a 3rd variable to the AntiFilterValues of the first two variables and you will have a list of field names that belong to the table the layout is built on but are not on the layout

This way the result is always accurate and you don't have to take the extra steps of generating the DDR.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ggt667 said:

Perhaps making new layouts with all fields and no design will suffice in your case?

I had thought about this, however, during the build of the db, I would end up doing some of the structure, then test it via the design... more structure, more testing... after finally getting everything working the way I am intending, to do this would be a huge step backwards. Thanks though!

This topic is 2501 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.