Exporting excel file row wise to filemaker existing layout

This topic is 2483 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi everyone.

I am trying to export data from excel which is in form of questionnaire  to new file in Filemaker. I made similar layout in Filemaker with all questions. I wrote script

Import records(source: "export file")

Go to record/ request page[first]

. This script is importing data to the new filemaker file but its not in sequence. My excel sheet has 10 questions with their question no. defined. But in layout i wrote every questions. While importing, i am getting all data in only one row. that is 10 data from excel in 10 records in filemaker but in same single row. whereas I want to import data according to the questions no. I have attached imges for reference if my question is confusing. Here in image we can see that the value of excel sheet is going to only one row in filemaker unlike it should be imported to different rows.

Thanks,

Excel file.PNG

filemaker layout.PNG

filemaker 1.PNG

filemaker2.PNG

8 hours ago, Anjani101 said:

Here in image we can see that the value of excel sheet is going to only one row in filemaker unlike it should be imported to different rows

What is the purpose of the N column?  It appears to contain that two-paragraph text ( as a notation? ) and its reference is the same on every resultant FM record so it shows multiple times.

What happens if you skip importing that field? Does it look right then?  You want to end up with 10 records for 10 questions but the responses should be a separate related table.

8 hours ago, Anjani101 said:

I made similar layout in Filemaker with all questions.

How did you design the form?  You haven't yet completed your profile so we are unaware of your self-evaluation on skill level ... do you understand how to create relational databases or are you newer at using FileMaker?

Please complete your profile so we know your FileMaker version and system OS version - it helps us when assisting you and welcome to FMForums!  :)

You might also wish to attach both your FM file and the Excel file.  Sometimes that is quicker for everyone to help you also.

Thank you for providing the files.  Each row in an Excel spreadsheet creates a record in FileMaker.  You have made the most common mistake when new to FileMaker ... you've created the questions as fields instead of records.  I would really like to assist you in getting your base structure properly established but I have a few questions:

1. Will you only be receiving the totals of each response to the questions or will you receive individual Student responses?
  2. Will Students be using FileMaker and if so, how will they access it?  IPad, Desktop, Web Direct (web browser)?
  3. What is the purpose of the 'N' field?
  4. It looks like Graders will be using this file?
  5. Will you be receiving data and if so, via Excel (hopefully not)?  Will you only be importing totals or data-entering directly into FM?
  6. What version of FM are you using?  What OS will your Students, Graders or yourself be using?
  7. Once you have generated summary reports, what will do you with them?  Print, PDF, email? 

Anything else you can say which gives me a better perspective of your purpose in using FileMaker for this project would be helpful.  Once I have these answers, I'll provide you with a sample file showing a solid structure for your forms.  Does that sound like a plan?

Edited by LaRetta

• Newbies

Following are answers to your questions.

1. Only total of each response is needed

2. Students doesnt use filemker. We have questionnaire in one website. And we import data from that website in form of excel.

3."N" is nothing, just total no. of question. This field can be discarded.

4. This file is needed as summary report for each classes and to know the student response

5. Importing data from excel(excel comes from the questionnaire website)

6. FM 2015 version

7. print,

A few more questions please:

1.  Can you get the data in any other form?  Excel is not a good choice for this type of data collection.
  2. You also show Grader's Comments, where does that information come from?
  3. You say it is 'to know the student response' but there is no student names included.  Do you mean 'know the class's group response'?
  4. To understand whether the responses should be split into records or can remain fields, will you ever want a different report than simply totals of all of them?
  5. Will there be different questions or are they always the same?
  6. Where does the text on the blue header sections come from?

I am unsure if FileMaker is the best tool for this project if all you wish is to summarize the totals of each column, but your additional answers to these questions should help us pin it down further.

This topic is 2483 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.