This topic is 7933 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

There is so much knowledge floating around this forum. Is it possible to have another forum topic that would contain either helpful hints and/or snippets of scripts uploaded by members that would contain their favorite techniques?

This idea isn't lost on management. Steve, Kurt and I have had this discussion many times. The format we favor is one that uses ftp to allow example files to be downloaded. We need to create the mechanism to present the available files and come up with a standard graphical db layout. Our desire is to make all the examples take on a similar format.

-bd

As an addition thought to all of you, we were considering making this some kind of system where an article is written and the example files created, both being in this standard format. Then people needing this information can search for and download them.

We would of course need people to write these articles/FAQ/tips and also to create the example files.

Stay tuned for more information, or send in your suggestions on how we can make this work.

Let's do it...

A place to put sample files is a great concept. I think a forum called "Sample Files" would be good. I have created many 'test' files when 'prototyping' a new solution. These files were created to test specific types of 'functions' that I would add to a client solution. I would be willing, and have already, shared some of these sample files.

On the other hand... the 'articles' forum (in my opinion) already exists... look at all the forums and sections. And look at all the interaction and ideas shared. This is a great way to learn about certain topics and issues regarding FileMaker. I know that FMForums has benefited me more than most of the books, magazines, videos, and training I have acquired over the past 13 years.

As an idea... how about creating a new topic (within the appropriate forum) with the title of "ARTICLE - Creating An Audit System". This would allow the contributor to post the article and still get the interaction from other users.

Another idea... how about a

Good idea - I'm also happy to contribute my demos and "useful calculations" files when you get it set up.

How about you create a template for what you want the File to look like and include some rules. We can then download it and add our bits.

Great idea..

I have created a forum under the "Brain Food" category called [color:"red"]Feature Presentation from here you can create a summary of your presentation and link to the actual post another forum. Or if your article covers multiple forums, write the article here and create a link in the one or two forums and point back to the article.

I'd be happy to contribute too. Perhaps something like an Open Source gallery of great techniques, tricks, etc. etc. -- but fleshed out in very basic sample templates. The same as this forum, but in a much more hands-on manner (instead of reading the solution, play with the solution) Sometimes learning how to script by reading advice or a manual alone is like learning how to drive without a car.

By using stripped down templates, you're not posting full-fledged (and money-worthy) solutions, but rather great elements of them (such as Calendars, Emailing, Invoicing, CRM, etc. etc.) for other developers to pick up and use as they can.

The Open Source gallery would help a lot of newbies especially as it's infinitely easier to re-engineer a basic template of core tables, layouts, fields, and scripts than to build one from scratch.

Ok I re thought this and created a seperate category called Feature Presentations

and created two forums, one for articles one for Sample files.

enjoy.

This topic is 7933 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.