The name "Analyzer" was already taken

This topic is 7254 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Well, I haven't isolated the problem I spoke of before... but here's another problem... the filename and script name end up with a bunch of junk appended. See the attached file. The ZIP file was too big for the forum... the Stuffed version just fits...

I am working on a generic version of the other problem... but I think even stuffed, it'll be too big. Is there somewhere I can email a 500K-800K file?

Okay, I have a version of the file that shows almost everything. It shows the only problem I've seen in the script bodies... failure to unindent on an End If. It shows extra suffixes in the header. It shows munged characters ("." instead of "N" in the filename). It shows blanked filenames. And it shows blanked filenames where if it wasn't blanked, it would have had a prefix. The only thing it doesn't show is a funny prefix.

The file is 1MB stuffed and 1.2MB zipped. How would you like me to send it?

Excellent!!

email it to address deleted

Meanwhile, I've noticed a problem that occurs with scripts that have no steps, such as when you have a dummy script like "----Print routines-----" used as a separator. I actually discovered this on one of my own projects just before you posted the last file which has the same problem.

Sigh, there's nothing like giving a program to someone else to test to cause all the bugs to appear. Anyway, I have been adding a few little features here and there to the main SoftDoc utility so that it's a bit nicer to use, and hopefully, I will have the OSX script reader part ready to incorporate into it soon too.

Hah! I figured it out. Two separate and slightly obscure bugs that would only show up on a fairly large file. I ran it on what you emailed me and I verified the problem you had. It has to do with the fact that most of filemaker's text functions are case insensitive. So I've fixed that now and I'm testing a number of ways of optimizing it so it will work faster.

Brian, you have a pretty fast computer. How long does it take to process the file that you emailed me? It took 10 minutes and 30 seconds on my G4 powerbook. You of course noticed the handy processing time info that the script reader now gives you?

Sorry about the delay in response... we host a huge Halloween party (about 2000 people this year)... so I've been a bit pre-occupied! ;^)

Anyway, on my 500 MHz G3 iMac, it took 33:30.

On my Dual 400 G4 Power Mac, it took 17:35.

What speed is your Powerbook?

Sounds like I may need to be doing some tuning on my install. I just let everything default.

And yes, I did notice the nifty processing time field!

Thanks.

Titanium G4 Powerbook, 400MHz, OS9, FM5.5

When you originally mentioned the lengthy time to process the files, I assumed that it was because of the different PS file format. But this last one with 93 scripts in it didn't take very long. In fact with some changes to the processing script, I've now got it down to 7 1/2 minutes on my machine.

It took 10 1/2 minutes before, and 7 1/2 minutes now, so if your getting significantly longer processing times than that on a dual 400Mhz G4, there is something seriously out of tune. Is it possible that OSX itself is causing the slowdown?

Anyway, I've attached the new script processor. I haven't had a chance to see how difficult it will be to incorporate this into the main utility. Hopefully, this week end.

• 1 year later...

Because this thread was getting rather long and convoluted, I started a new thread and posted the latest version here:

http://www.fmforums.com/threads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/51415/page/10/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

It was developed to work with FM5.5. Revising it to handle the additional functions of FM6 would be a easy, and I may still do that. But, since FM7 has come out, this would require major rework to handle these files. I may look at doing this when I have some spare time available, but I don't have anything planned at the moment.

I note that your platform is listed as Windows. I have never received any feedback from Windows users. Because of the way SoftDoc documents scripts (using a print driver), I'm fairly certain that part probably doesn't work properly on Windows machines.

Well Bob, my experiments with printing-to-file via PS were not very fruitfull

since the PS drivers don't seem to generate what is expected of your logic.

But, in the mean time, I found MetaDataMagic and was blown off of my seat.

The demo only allows for 3 files max., well I only have 3 smile.gif)

It did the job [color:"red"]extremely well and supports FMP 3.0, 4.0, 4.1

and 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0

Thanks for your help

Marc

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Dear Bob,

Good job! Nice application. I am using Filemaker Pro 6 (not Developer) with OS X Jaguar (10.2.8) and your app worked great (I didn't use it to document the scripts).

I did add one little feature to make it easier to focus on just the relationships. I created a new layout called "Search" with a big description text box. When you use Find mode to search for Item Type "relationship" you get a list of just relationships. This shortened my printable report from 99 pages to 4 pages! I'm including an updated version of Softdoc.fp5 with my "mod."

MW

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.