FileMaker Server 5.5v4 updater

This topic is 4481 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just received an email from Filemaker stating the above updater is available of OSX. Below is the text:

ftp://ftp.apple.com/filemaker/Updaters/MacOSX/fms_55v4_osx_updater.sit

New in FileMaker Server 5.5v4

-Corrected an issue that could cause FileMaker Server to improperly close a

file at shutdown.

-The FileMaker Server Open Database dialog box will now handle non-Western

filenames.

- FileMaker Server will now start even if installed into a folder with a

name or path containing upper-ASCII or

double-byte characters.

Unfortunately, I could not connect to the ftp site. I am not sure if due to problem on my end, our firewall is sometimes too protective, or on apple's end. I found in interesting that they used an FTP site on Apple instead of Filemaker.

Has it resolved the issue with files becoming corrupt? Doesn't sound like it.

I haven't installed FMS 5.5 on OS X despite hearing of significant speed increases I've read too much of the same here about files becoming corrupt. I am right to stay away?

• Newbies

Has anybody successfully updated the FM Server to v4 ?

I am running FM Server on OS X 10.2.8. Tried to run the updater but get an error:

"An error prevented the update from completing." with error codes: 11002:2, -14.

Anybody else with the same problem ?

• Newbies

Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

After running the unsuccessful v4 update, I noticed that the FM Server failed to launch at boot. Then I discovered the executable (fmserverd) was missing from the resource fork directory. So I guess the updater did locate the server application folder (I have it at /Applications rather than /). Nevertheless, I will reinstall the server at its default location (or move the folder to /) and try to see if the updater works.

jroths,

I was having the same problem updating that you were it seems...

I solved it by:

- deleting the FMS folder that I had installed into Applications (and was evidently damaged by trying to run the update with it in the "wrong" place)

- reinstalling FMS 5.5 v2 at the top level of the drive, where it wants to go by default.

- running update 5.5 v4 again.

Now all is well and FMS runs again, as 5.5 v4

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to install this update. I decided to wait till 10.3 to erase my drive and start from scratch. The v4 upgrade appears to have solved two of my three main complaints, and I am too lazy to see if it solves all three.

-The file corruption has not occurred with three tests, although I will still continue to backup prior to stop serving just to make sure.

-FMServer OSX appears to work well on RAID drives now when serving large files. Previous versions did not like to back up large files from a multiple drive volume or to a volume other than the one serving the file.

-I do not know if the fmservd will now accept more commands from the UNIX shell. I need these to prompt a backup and elegant closure of the files upon power interruption. Maybe I will get the energy to test this again, but I am not proficient at UNIX and the example Filemaker had for automatic startup of fmservd was quite intimidating.

DJK

We had recurrent problems with FileMaker Server corrupting files and crashing with previous versions on OS X. We abandoned use of the server for 6 months and reverted to a single Mac workstation. Last week I made a clean install of Filemaker Server on a new dedicated PowerMac G4 running OS X v.10.2.8 and was able to use the 5.5v.4 updater without difficulty. Also there was no major difficulties opening, hosting files, and performing regular backups of all of our files. It's already looking much better than our previous experience, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

I also had issues running the updater with regards to Jroths comments, and if I remember right have had the same issue with this type updater and other FMP programs in the past, but did a fresh install of FMS and then updated and all was ok.

We had also switched away from OSX and server due to many problems, so now we are trying it again, we are running a G3 OS10.2.8 with FMS5.5V4, and like most of us keeping our fingers crossed.....I know is this wishfull thinking, but would'nt it be great if Apple took FM back under its wing again....the only glimmer I see of that is this update appearing on their web site prior to FM.

Rod

• 7 months later...
  • Newbies

Hi,

Tried to update Filemaker 5.5v4 and its keeps on giving an error message. I have realized that my version of Filemaker Pro Server 5.5 may be corrupt.

Can anyone help me with a version of Filemaker Pro Server 5.5??

Please - really desperate. That's the only copy of it that I have.

Thanx

• 7 years later...

This topic is 4481 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.