new to filemaker

andrew29

This topic is 7436 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I'm basically new to Filemaker although I have attended a couple of courses.

Anyway I have to review a database with the view of revamping it into a relational DB. I'm OK with relational DB concepts, and am busily researching implementing them in FM Pro 4.1 Can anyone direct me to good clear resources to help me get started? Especially in regard to the issues associated with relational BDs in FM Pro.

Also how do I set up a database so that more than one user can access it at a time.

Many Thanks

Aside from looking at the posts here--and there are some very good ones that give some excellent advice on structuring databases for various applications-- you could look at some books. A very good one is by Coulombre and Price, "Special Edition, Using FileMaker Pro 5." This book is worthwhile even if you are using version 4.1. The book also has a very good section on setting up multiuser databases.

Hello 'andrew29',

I have yet to find the 'definitive' book, article, video, or class on FileMaker. I have learned how to design and implement solutions and ideas through 'trial & error'; reading various books & magazines; 'tearing apart' sample files; ETC. I have been using FileMaker for more than 15 years and a lot of my knowledge comes from experience. I do pickup most FMP books... more, because I am a 'bookstore junkie'. I use these more for reference. 'Scriptology' is a 'great' reference and has great sample files to 'tear apart'. FMP training is 'iffy'... I have attended 'good' & 'bad' classes. Every instructor has an 'agenda'... some are good teachers... other, NOT!

One source of 'great' information is this... 'FMForum'. It has a good deal of knowledge 'bouncing' around from the people who encounter 'snags' and overcome them. I typically 'invest' an hour a day reading various 'posts'. I will then spend another hour or so trying to create a solution to some of the unique problems people encounter. I consider some problems a 'challenge' and will work many hours to solve them... this is how you learn FMP... trial & error.

I specifically recommend the 11 areas of the FMForum's 'FileMaker Functions & Features' sections and the first 4 areas of the FMForum's 'Brain Food' section. The 'posts' in these areas share a wealth of information and give insight into how other people approach the same problems. It's great to see how other people 'think outside the box'.

I hope this helps!!!

Bob Kundinger

[email protected]

This topic is 7436 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.