HIPPA Police *DELETED*

Xas

This topic is 7151 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I agree. Hospital work is 95% of my business. I've already discovered that Banner Health Care Systems is locking down. IT won't let them share even a single Excell file, let alone and Abcess database unless it goes through an aproval process. Fortunatley, my other big client, HCA is a little more reasonable.

This just means more hoops to jump through to get a solution put on the network. And those hoops aren't friendly for FMP to jump through because the IT network guys still think of FMP as punny little Mac type database that has no business in the real world and should be used just to store images and other fluffy things for the graphics department. It takes a lot of energy to convince them that the latest generation of FMP is powerful and is up to the task.

Bottom line, sloppiness isn't limited to FMP, but is pervasive and this is what IT seems to be responding to. I'm sure the HIPPA pendiulm has swung too far to the right and until it comes back to center, we'll have to deal with the hyper vigulance around privacy and security issues.

FMP 6 is probably not up to scratch, it's way to easy to extract passwords. FMP 7 has much better security.

I'd start by developing in FMP 7.

BTW, I believe it's HIPAA wink.gif

Funny, I've seen it both ways in seemingly official uses..

HIPAA HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY ACT

and

HIPPA Health Insurance Privacy and Portability Act

I believe you are correct though.. the correct version is "HIPAA"...

Ah.. a rose by any other name...

Hi Brucej!

" IT network guys still think of FMP as punny little Mac type database "

ehm....until FM V7 was out...(NOT too long ago) well, FM was just what u discribed...the only thing that MAc world had for "storing crap"...so of course "it will be liked my Mac users" since there was nothing else to choose from...most of the time we installed FM to a 1:1000 users ratio,just so some designer/journalist/mac user can collect some of its crap and stop crying....

why it never went beyond a small MAC lab?

craking a networked <=FM6 takes a bout 4 seconds + $50 and NO programming knowledge whatsoever...and only pre-req is exactly that...access to shares

So, from IT perspetive...FM is a the last choice for workgroup DBMS (especially knowling that clients can become Hosts....aghh nasty)

from 'programmers' point of view and working with FM....I love it ;-) and would rather start developing with FM vs. Access or alike.....(again, emphasis on 'Start' my project)

But again, if I was that MIS guys I would give u the same answers.....it would take A LOT.....and then some before u convince me to "run hospital records" on FM

Now, the version 7 looks a A LOT better in my naive eyes...but so much to learn...so little time. laugh.gif

anyhow, short perspetive from and 'IT guy' who is hooked on FM

Take care!

craking a networked <=FM6 takes a bout 4 seconds + $50 and NO programming knowledge whatsoever...and only pre-req is exactly that...access to shares

I agree. The only way I could safely run it was via a Citrix server that published FMP6 to the clients, and then the Host and the Citrix server sat securely, spearated from the rest of the world. Basically, I let the Citrix and network security provide the access security - and let FMP do what FMP was best at.

I'm hoping FM7 will sell better to the IT guys as far as external security goes, but as we mentioned, it's a tough sell given the FMP reputation or lack there of.

--- hey I wonder why the lead post here was deleted... strange... perhaps the HIPAA police had something to do with it.

Gotta remember that the shiney side goes out when wearing your tin foil hat!

Actually, with a little creative thinking, and some of the functionality in FMP 6 I built a good little security model that worked quite well. And there are a couple of utility plug-ins that help with security.

One of the things that makes Filemaker such a great product (not good little Mac Crap storage tool) is the easy with which one can develop a solution to just about any problem. That is also the great challenge. People without the proper skills in database development, can create solutions that don't follow sound practices. Filemaker takes the heat as the app, and not the poor design talents of the developer. I've seen it happen here.

Finally, I am still coming up the speed on FMP 7, but, I've been developing in FMP for over ten years, and this is by way the best release I've seen yet. A great workgroup tool, with real enterprise level potential.

I hoping to see alot more in Phoenix soon.

Walt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This topic is 7151 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.