Sequelink ODBC Driver error - I need help!

IMIC

This topic is 7061 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm at my wits end. I've been trying to get the Sequelink 5.4 ODBC driver to work with FileMaker 7 Server Advanced, but I just can't get it to work.

When I go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC)

I try to create a data source using the Sequelink driver, but when I click on 'Test Connect' I get the error:

[DataDirect][ODBC SequeLink driver][sequeLink Client]TCP/IP error

I've tried setting the SequeLink Server Host to localhost and 127.0.0.1

I've tried setting the SequeLink Server Port to 2399, 19996, and 19997. (yeah, I've been told many things)

I already copied the xDBC.fmx and the xDBC Support Folder copied to my FileMaker Server 7ExtensionsPlugins directory.

I've also enabled sharing via ODBC/JDBC in FileMaker Server.

I've been looking at forums all over the place, but none of their solutions have helped me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know the file is open in FM Server.

When I look at it's status using the server administrator program, it says Normal. I can change its status to Closed, so I assume that Normal means that it is open.

Do I need to also install FileMaker Pro on the same machine and open it using that?

-Jason

In the Data Sources (ODBC) option, I tried setting the port to 5003, but when I clicked on 'Test Connect' I got the following message.

SequeLink Error: 2315

[DataDirect][OBDC SequeLink driver][sequeLink Client]Network Problem, unknown session conversation protocol.

We ran a program to tell us what ports are currently listening on the server and by what program. We tried all the ports corresponding to FileMaker (including port 5003), but we got similar error messages.

Thanks for your replies Garry and Transpower. We hope you can help more.

Anyone that helps solve this problem will receive a Snickers bar in the mail.

-Jason and Caleb

P.S. Or maybe we'll send you a 'virtual' Snickers bar instead.

I am running the same setup and I copied the file but the plugin DOES NOT APPEAR in the plugins list. If I copy one of the sample plugins in, the sample plugin shows up. I can't turn on the xDBC.fmx plugin, does anybody know why that is?

(Having previously posted as anonymous)

I can see it in the list, I have enabled it with "fmserver enable plugin 1" (as it's the only plugin there), it shows up as Not Loaded / Enabled. I still cannot connect to the server through ODBC.

Okay, for those just tuning in, I keep getting a TCP/IP Error when I try to set up my ODBC driver for FMS 7. (see above for more details)

I've tried several new things. At the command line, I typed:

"fmsadmin list plugins"

It showed that the ODBC/JDBC Companion plugin was installed, but that it was disabled. So I typed:

"fmsadmin enable plugin 1"

(1 is the ID for the ODBC/JDBC Companion plugin) but the plugin remained disabled.

I believe this is the root of all the problems I have been having. If anyone can tell me how to get this plugin enabled, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Jason

You just enabled it with that command. What I got from FM was that it's not supposed to show up in teh plugin list in the gui. I don't understand that, but then again I don't understand a lot of things FileMaker does.

When I typed "fmsadmin enable plugin 1" it immediately told me that the plugin was still disabled, as if the command had done nothing.

Is there another way to enable the plugin, or perhaps it won't enable it because there is an error elsewhere?

-Jason

• Newbies

I am not sure if you guys have fixed this in the mean time or what OS you are using, but this might help: if you are using a windows 2000 server, the files from the xDBC plugin you have copied over from the CD will be READ ONLY. If you don't change this you will get connection refused errors because FMSA will not open port 2399. It took me a few days to stumble over this pickle :-( Hope this helps.

Cheers,

T.

It worked! Thanks Bounce! I'm naming my firstborn child after you. I knew it was going to be something simple I didn't think of.

Thank you everyone who replied to my initial message. I'm sure I will be posting here again. Now that it's finally working, there are more things for me to break.

-Jason

OK so what am I missing here?

Server:

Running FM Server 7 advanced on Win Server 2003 platform.

copied files have been changed from Read Only

xDBC plugin is installed and enabled according to command line.

Action-> Properties ->Clients ->Enable Client Services

Allow ODBC and JDBC connections is checked

Client:

Data Direct Driver is installed

ODBC Connections to localhost/ port 2933 work

ODBC Connections to server's IP/ port 2399 do NOT.

edited to add:

by "not working" I mean: When I test the connection in the ODBC Data Source Admin I get a SequeLink Error: 2306 TCP/IP error, connection refused

FM Develpoer app can connect and open db's on server.

:

thanks

• 1 month later...

OK, so lets go back to the original problem in the post. Are you guys trying to say that this original problem can be solved by changing the xdbc files (copied from the cd) into non-read only format will solve this problem?

I have the exact same problem, but got really confused from the different posts in here.

If that is actually the solution, how do you change it from read-only to non-read only?

Thanks!

This topic is 7061 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.