Citrix vs TS

JerrySalem

This topic is 6642 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a client that wants me to deploy a solution using a remote technology like TS or Citrix. After looking over the forums here I am still sort of left in the dark.

Does anyone have an opinion as to what are the benifits of using Citrix over Terminal Services? Which is a better solution and why? From my limited reading it seems like TS is fast, cross platform. Why would I ever use citrix? Is one better on security or stability than the other? TS also seems significantly cheaper.

BTW I am deploying initially in FM6

Opinions welcome!

Terminal Server is less costly and has fewer features than Citrix. I've never had a need for Citrix, but there may be a specialized feature of it that a particular client may require, so it is worth checking out.

When you want to use Citrix, you need TS first. Citrix just builds on TS.

Some of the features Citrix adds:

- even less bandwith required

- better printing support

- more security options

- more support for server clustering (server farms).

Like Transpower, I rarely need Citrix. TS usually works just fine. Especially with Server 2003 which is a huge improvement over 2000 Server.

Just to add to the other responses...

I am running both Terminal Services and Citrix and it is true that Citrix runs on top of TS so therefore is more expensive.

However, there is no Terminal Service Client for Mac OS 9 - so if you need that, then you need Citrix.

Also, Terminal Services does (or at least did) not support USB printers on the local machine - bummer.

• 1 year later...

I have been using Citrix for about 2 years now. I used it with FMP5 and server (kinda sucked). I use it with FMP7 and server now. It's not a rocket but simple developement can be done using it, if I had to rely on it alone I'd kill myself (layout changes are slow). TS is required but comes with XP pro standard. If your working at the kitchen table with a glass of Cab it works fine. I run both server and FMP on the same server without any problems.

John

This topic is 6642 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.