your suggestions on working with FileMaker and MYOB

This topic is 6567 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

hi,

does anyone have a nifty solution for merging data between FileMaker and MYOB?

at the moment we are reentering the same data that we have already entered in FileMaker into MYOB. (quotes, etc)

can anyone recommend a plugin, or other solution (export, import, etc) to cut down on our data entry time?

we are running on PC (Windows XP), with Pro 6 (Pro 7 soon hopefully), and MYOB 14.

any suggestions would be appreciated,

thanks,

jd.

• 2 months later...

Hi MetaSys Software Pvt. Ltd,

This topic also interests me, as I do a lot of double entry from FMP to MYOB. Im mainly concerned with getting in my customer, supplier, customer invoices and supplier purchases into MYOB automatically, Ive created .tab files from FMP to MYOB in the past and imported them - but if there is a way of automating data import from one program to another I would much appreciate you sharing your technique.

Kindest regards

Jalz

I have done over half a dozen databases that are set up to export data to up to 6 text files. These files are set up to import directly to MYOB using MYOB's standard import system.

The advantage of using import export is that it becomes platform independent, whereas Applescript is Mac only.

You can upload Contact Cards, Supplier Cards, Items, Invoices and Invoice Items, Purchases/Purchase Items and Customer Receipts. There, are, however, some drawbacks in that you cannot upload a Credit Payment to a MYOB invoice as MYOB does this natively in a different way than just making a payment against an invoice. I have found it to be about 99% accurate (MYOB still throws up a error message on import every now and then that even the folks at MYOB don't understand. But at least the double entry is vastly reduced

HI Jalz,

I would certainly be pleased to share that technique. However its a huge applescript written and wonder what can be the best mechanism to explain you here in the small space. Also I will have to know what area of MYOB you would like to transfer data to. We need to create appropriate fields in FM accordingly.

Regards,

MetaSys Software Pvt. Ltd.

Hi MetaSys,

I would primarily be interested in transfrering Purchase Orders and Customer invoices over to my MYOB accounts.

Do you get any input errors with your method?

Jalz

• 2 months later...

Hi MetaSys,

I occasionally get a import errors, and I haven't got my log infront of me but they are usually describbed in the MYOB Import Log. The way I am currently exporting data out of FM, is I have one calculated field, which contains all the fields I want to export, seperated by comma's. I then export this I believe in tab format.

My user then imports this back into MYOB. I suppose thats when you would need Applescript to automate the import it for you?

Look in your comma or tab delimited text file for text with quotation marks.

ie: 75,105,"1,275",150

You may find that the initial text in FM has commas keyed in by the user, which when exported, would seperate the text fileds incorrectly.

Clean your text of any commas before export from FM, or with a word processor before importing into MYOB.

HI Jalz,

We do not have a two step process..i.e. export in tab separated format and then import in MYOB. Our process is automated which exports all records directly into MYOB.For this to achieve we need two calculation fields.. one for field names and other for values. Also we need to make sure that the proper account is created in MYOB..

Regards,

MetaSys

Thanks Guys for your replies:

Mav, yes I am using the substitute command to get rid of ampersands and alike.

MetaSys, what version of MYOB & platform are you using?

Im due to start a new project soon, which involves a link for an FM Db to MYOB. Although I can create two calculation fields like you suggested in your last post (making sure the account already exists),how do I post directly into MYOB? Do you use the ODBC? or even the Execute SQL command?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Garry,

What version of MYOB on the PC and Mac are you using? I would be quite interested to find out the ODBC route you've taken on teh PC.

I'm working with Premier 9 on Windows and Account Edge 3 on OS X.

We are using the ODBC Write tables to be able to directly write to the MYOB data file. I do this with the FM Script step "Execute SQL".

For example, I can add/edit Customer Cards, Items and Invoices. We use FM for quoting, inventory management, CRM, etc.

All the best.

Garry

This topic is 6567 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.