Passwords set up

GregFM

This topic is 8448 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am developing a multifile solution that needs to have several layers of password protection. I want to give the IT administrator the option of chanaging passwords for the user's but without allowing the IT administrator the opportunity of opening up my solution. Is this possible?

Second is it possible to rename the "user name" via a script or other device? At present I created a file "passwords" with records containing user names and userdefined passowrds. The User name is a match field for a relationship that populates a hidden field with the correct password in another file. The user would enter the user name in a corresponding matchfield for the relationship via value list (from field from file Passwords) and manual enter a password in a vissible passord field. A script goes: "if password-visible-field is not equal to password-hidden-field, exit script, else, do this and that". It is getting a little cumbersome to enter name and password before the many functions. I though how I would do this in the first opeing file and transfering the name and passwod to the other files but this would only work for unshared files. Any suggestions out there that would allow user defined passwords AND keep a developer's secrets secret??

(I guess I should proof read my entries before closing - so many typo's). In addition to the above, I thought about using the Status(current user) but this would only work if each terminal was dedicated to a single user. I want to plan my solution so that any single terminal could be used by more than one user without the user having to change the terminal's owner designation and restart the solution before every entry. One of the reasons for this is that I need to have a log of user name and action the user initiated.

I await any bright ideas.

quote:

Originally posted by GregFM:

(I guess I should proof read my entries before closing - so many typo's). In addition to the above, I thought about using the Status(current user) but this would only work if each terminal was dedicated to a single user. I want to plan my solution so that any single terminal could be used by more than one user without the user having to change the terminal's owner designation and restart the solution before every entry. One of the reasons for this is that I need to have a log of user name and action the user initiated.

I await any bright ideas.

Basically you need a login system, where the user enters a user name and password. With this information you are able to determine what the user can and cannot see/do.

All of the files would be tightly locked with FMP file security. Your login system would do the rest.

The main thing is to be able to know who is actually sitting at the terminal.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

My rudimentary log-in system is in the Access file, the file that opens and allows access to all the all others if the Name and password match. But...

is there a way to carry the user name from the Access file to any other file so that any actions in the other files can be recorded in the User log without the need for the user to log-in in each file?

If I copy the name into a global field in each file, (so that as the user works with that files different records, the UserNameField is still accessable) a second user on another terminal repopulate the field with his name. Is my only option to have X number of global fields for the UserName (UNF1, UNF2...) in each file, and run a script in each file that populates then next empty one, but limiting the number of users to the number of global UserNameFields defined?

Your help has been invaluable in the past, Capt.

This topic is 8448 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.