Allowing limited browsing capabilities

This topic is 8610 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am currently using FMP 5 to track projects and so on for our department. Recently, I added a file called weekly reports for developers and team managers to submit their weekly reports. I'm also in the process of putting the final touches on the web version of this.

What I need to do is limit browsing capabilities of individual users. We want people to submit their reports through this either through the FMP client on their desktops or through a web browser, but don't want them to see other's reports.

I'd appreciate any insight...

quote:

Originally posted by howiek:

I am currently using FMP 5 to track projects and so on for our department. Recently, I added a file called weekly reports for developers and team managers to submit their weekly reports. I'm also in the process of putting the final touches on the web version of this.

What I need to do is limit browsing capabilities of individual users. We want people to submit their reports through this either through the FMP client on their desktops or through a web browser, but don't want them to see other's reports.

I'd appreciate any insight...

Boy did you ask for the whole thing? Wow, well start with a good login system, so that you know who is sitting in front of the terminal and browsing records. Then setup some kind of privledge checking system to determine what each person can do on each screen.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.inthescene.com

mailto:[email protected]

• Newbies

Maybe I wasn't too clear the first time. When I go into limit privileges for, browsing is a default function. I can't uncheck it to limit browsing with passwords or groups. I can limit them from all the other actions(create, delete, edit, etc.) but I can't stop anyone from browsing. We want our developers to express their feelings(even negative ones) without have the other party they are talking about being able to see it.

Please help capt'n!

quote:

Originally posted by captkurt:

Boy did you ask for the whole thing? Wow, well start with a good login system, so that you know who is sitting in front of the terminal and browsing records. Then setup some kind of privledge checking system to determine what each person can do on each screen.

quote:

Originally posted by howiek:

Maybe I wasn't too clear the first time. When I go into limit privileges for, browsing is a default function. I can't uncheck it to limit browsing with passwords or groups. I can limit them from all the other actions(create, delete, edit, etc.) but I can't stop anyone from browsing. We want our developers to express their feelings(even negative ones) without have the other party they are talking about being able to see it.

Please help capt'n!

Completely restricting the browsing capabilities of a database, is a pretty difficult proposition, since that is such a fundamental piece of functionality.

Again get a good login system, so that you know who is sitting in front of the terminal. Use FMP passwords to restrict the functionality that you do not want them to have, such as "browsing".

Once you have the various items restricted in the general way, then you can begin to rebuild the functionailty that you want the users to have.

You are really asking a more complex question than can be answered simply. This kind of thing is what I have spent years actively doing and it is not easy.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

• 1 month later...

This topic is 8610 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.