turn off SSO ( single sing on )

This topic is 6378 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Is there any way to disable SSO on Filemaker Server 8 ?

This is the scenario:

*Filemaker Server 8 (using External Authentication)

*Windowns Domain controller using Active Directory

*Filemaker Pro Advance 8 as the client.

When I'm logged into my Windows XP machine, with my username/password that has both access to the domain and to the filemaker database. it does not ask me for my username and password when I open the filemaker files hosted on FMS-8.

This would be great if I was the only user in my workstation. However, I don't like the idea that if someone leaves their computer on and not locked, someone else could just go and log-in into Filemaker.

Is there any way to disable SSO on Filemaker Server 8 ?

This would be great if I was the only user in my workstation. However, I don't like the idea that if someone leaves their computer on and not locked, someone else could just go and log-in into Filemaker.

The entire purpose of SSO is to prevent having to remember multiple credentials. The most straightforward solution to this issue is to have the workstations set to log off or go to the screen saver after x minutes of inactivity. This is the least Draconian method of manging the problem of unintended portals of access.

FileMaker Security: The Book discusses these and related issues at considerable length.

http://www.filemakersecurity.com

HTH

Steven

Hi Diego,

Seems like you need to work on the overall security of your workstations...

Can't turn SSO off. Even if you could turn it off for just FM, anyone would still be able to browse the rest of your network with the credentials of the user who walked away.

• 1 month later...

Not a very good excuse, Diego (sorry to be hard on you).

You don't want to find out *after* someone saved a sensitive document on a share somewhere that it needed proctecting.

Security should not be an afterthought...

This topic is 6378 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.