Horizontal and Vertical Photo Browser [Finished-FM 8+]

This topic is 5180 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Solution / : Horizontal and Vertical Photo Browser

Description: A browser that uses portals, and a repeating calc field to simulate vertical and horizontal tiling of photos.

The "photo's" used are just returned from a google search for small clip art images.

As usual if you download this file, please put a vote in, there is no real point to the vote except it's the only way i get feedback as to whether you think it's a decent file or not.

Working Under:

Solution Status: Finished

Pre-requisites:

Author(s): Genx

Date: 02/22/07

Credits: Comment -- Just cause he rocks : And also because I learnt that you could use GetNthRecord() over a non-related structure

Instructions / Other Info: Pull apart to your hearts desire and Enjoy!

Disclaimer:

FM Forums does not endorse or warrantee these files are fit for any particular purpose. Do not post or distribute files without written approval from the copyright owner. All files are deemed public domain unless otherwise indictated. Please backup every file that you intend to modify.

photoManagement.zip

Edited by Guest

Actually, I just picked up on something...

The c_viewingDisplay field won't function properly if a photo is deleted. I was initially going to use Get(FoundCount) but it doesn't seem to evaluate properly in a field in this case... It actually returns the number of available portal records.. Can anyone else confirm this?

Re the page left and right, yeh, i was going to but i got lazy lol.

Filemaker has me a bit freaked at the moment.

I create image management solutions ... i just accidentally deleted the image in the last field ... so i copied one of the other images and pasted it in to the last field.

Now the images are totally different sizes.

Thats very bad. All of your fields are set to handle the graphics in the same way.

Picture_132.png

• 1 month later...

I have looked at using it like a generic search tool. You have a google like search page and then it delivers the results as images. I reduced it to 9 per page and flip per page rather than column. Worked fine until i tested. I found that it populated images in between finds. So if you have results on a find for records 1, 8, 9, 10 It would display images between 1-8 as well in the portal but still have the correct result count which is 4. So did a bit of digging about and found that the calc field c_currentIDSet needs to have the box "Do not evauluate if all referenced fields are empty" unticked. So it resolves the find. This may also solve the delete situation above.

Its a good start and has loads of potenital if you want to whip up a lightbox type image management solution.

Hope that makes some sense.

Ummm, hey, any comments a good comment ;) Glad you found a use for it.

I was unaware that unchecking Do not evaluate would solve that problem -- Refresh Window[Flush Cached Join Results] will also fix it if anyone's interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am thinking about extending this app a bit. I would like to implement a users selection into another list (in a portal like a shopping basket/lightbox). So the user clicks on the image and it is added to their selection which appears in their basket but you actually see the image.

Any ideas? I would like to have each user have only access to their list.

I await any comments.

Hi Mts99,

Take a look at this topic and see if it gives you any ideas -- http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/180278/post/221354/hl//

It uses global fields to hold user selection, you can ignore the highlight fields.

Hi Genx,

See my use of your original app for a project I am doing. I am still working at adding a horizontal portal to store a users selections as they add each image to their own list.

There is PHP scripts out there that do this but I think its good to use FM to prove it can do it!

Still. Any advice or pointers let me know.

lightbox.jpg

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are two alt examples taking advantage of FMP9

conditional formating and dynamic portals.

The two left arrows will fade when the first record is reached. (haven't finished the right arrows)

If the portal has autoresize settings on, the nav arrows will compensate.

I have simplified the repeating field relationship with a single field. And removed all nav scripting.

An interesting challenge would be:

-to add your portal paging for the dynamic portals.

-make the logic dynamic enough that nav buttons could pass a simple variable that would control a specific portal, based on object naming.

portalScroll_conditionalFormat.zip

• 5 months later...
  • Newbies

Solution / : Horizontal and Vertical Photo Browser

Description: A browser that uses portals, and a repeating calc field to simulate vertical and horizontal tiling of photos.

The "photo's" used are just returned from a google search for small clip art images.

As usual if you download this file, please put a vote in, there is no real point to the vote except it's the only way i get feedback as to whether you think it's a decent file or not.

Working Under:

Solution Status: Finished

Pre-requisites:

Author(s): Genx

Date: 02/22/07

Credits: Comment -- Just cause he rocks :) And also because I learnt that you could use GetNthRecord() over a non-related structure

Instructions / Other Info: Pull apart to your hearts desire and Enjoy!

Disclaimer:

FM Forums does not endorse or warrantee these files are fit for any particular purpose. Do not post or distribute files without written approval from the copyright owner. All files are deemed public domain unless otherwise indictated. Please backup every file that you intend to modify.

Hi,

your example was helpful. However do you know how to control the delete key in windows. There are two tables in the database I have designed. The first one holds text records and the second one maintains pictures corresponding to the first table (1:n relationship)

I have designed a layout for the field data and a portal to maintain the related pictures. It works fine. However when I select a Picture in the portal and press the delete key, it removes the picture without any warning messages (Ctrl+E works fine. But I want the same functionality in press of the Delete button). Also even though the image is removed the empty record still exists.

I noticed the same behavior with your example as well. Do you know a way that will prompt a confirmation message when pressing the windows Delete button on a portal record? Please help, I'm new to FileMaker Pro.

BTW: I'm using FileMaker Pro 9

Thanks in advance

Right click the field > field control > behavior and untick the option to allow the field to be entered in browse mode. This should lead you to click directly on the portal row and press delete.

• Newbies

Right click the field > field control > behavior and untick the option to allow the field to be entered in browse mode. This should lead you to click directly on the portal row and press delete.

Hi Genx,

thanx for the reply. However this does not solve my problem. Because I want the pictures to be inserteed in the browse mode in the portal. However at the time of selecting a cell in the portal and presssing the delete button, the warning should popup. Is there a way that I can achive this using scripts?

Or can I use two different layouts? one to store text data and one to store related images. However since I'm new to FMP finding some difficulty in passing variable values between layouts (is it possible?).

Still I'm not sure if this is feasible as the number of pictures for each related records in the main table are not defined; it can vary.

Appriciate if you could suggest (or give a sample) solution.

Thanks man...

Because I want the pictures to be inserteed in the browse mode in the portal. However at the time of selecting a cell in the portal and presssing the delete button, the warning should popup. Is there a way that I can achive this using scripts?
No

Or can I use two different layouts?
Yes

You'll have to be more specific as to what you're after because i'm not really following.

• Newbies

You'll have to be more specific as to what you're after because i'm not really following.

There are two tables in my FMP database.

1)tbl_Fields (primarykey-FiledID)

2)tbl_Pictures (foreignkey-FieldID)

relationship 1:n (one table can have 0 or more pictures)

The number of pictures for each tbl_Fields record can vary

With my existing design I'm using a portal with container datatype to list all the pictures corresponding to each record from tbl_Fields. One and only layout and the user has to scroll through all the pictures.

Now for this database I want a more user friendly solution. User should be able to insert records as well as edit it. However when deleting one a warning message should be prometed(as with my earlier design with portals it is not possible. Restricing editing in browse mode won't help as this stops the user from inserting pictures).

I would like to know how to present the related records in two different layouts(i.e tbl_Fields records in one layout, and related tbl_Pictures in other layout). When user scroll through records in layout-1 and click a custom button, it should switch to layout-2. Layout-2 will display corresponding pictures based on the relation. User should be able to add any number of pictues using this interface. Specifically the preview of the picture should be there as the pictures are stored as container data type.

Hope this explains my requirements (So many questions??? thanks for your time. you are really helpful.)

• 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.