generate an RSS .xml feed from FileMaker ??

This topic is 3731 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there,

I'd like to write a script that generates an

RSS .xml file from FileMaker and saves it to a server.

I was thinking that perhaps I would write a script that would generate the XML by looping through the records in question, and would pass the XML to a variable. Then, maybe save the variable to a global field, and then export one record (only exporting the global field), and saving that to a text file titled: filename.xml

I have a feeling there is a much better way to do this..does anyone have any advice for me ?

It's not that difficult to use Export XML with an XSL stylesheet to produce an RSS feed. It is a pretty simple structure (at least it was, this was a while ago I did this). The following extracts data from FileMaker fields, by numbered column. Example:

So all you have to do is to either change the numbers after COL to match your export field order; or change your field order.

RSS.xsl.zip

thanks

does this assume that we have a flat table that has 4 columns that provide the RSS title, link, description... but that that information exists in each row ?

It looks like the xsl is pulling the RSS channel title out of column 1, 2, 3, 4 but then the item data from columns 5, 6, 7, 8..

Something like that. It is exporting from the items data table. The channel info is either an unstored calculation of a related field or global. You could use related data directly from another table, but I brought it in and labelled it, just to keep the RSS fields together. Either way should work.

Notice that the xsl is only pulling channel data, from fields 1,2,3,4 in ROW[1], then pulling the other data from all the rows (records).

XSL can do this, print row (record) 1, then separately print all the records, starting over at 1, but different fields. This comes in very handy.

If you have FMS(A), you can publish RSS feeds directly (by way of XML/XSLT CWP) without scripts, exporting and uploading files.

You can find an example of a news ticker

here.

The example is made so that upon each change of the database, the RSS feed is updated.

The news ticker was part of a course that I gave at the german FileMaker conference 2006. Have a look at folder Schritt4, file news_en.xsl . Have also a look at the accompanying pdf file of the PowerPoint presentation. Although the examples are in german, you may figure out.

Then examine the optimized example in folder Schritt4_optimiert, news_en.xsl . This files uses some tricks to decrease RSS bandwidth considerably.

Before you publish this example on your server, please remove the original messages in the database and add your own.

• 2 years later...
  • Newbies

You guys are the most innovative content distributors on the web, and I think you guys could check this site out and make a credit of it.

http://www.rsschannelwriter.com/

A new version of RSS Channel Writer released by Emergency Soft. This comprehensive, yet easy-to-use software promises to be the most professional in its field.

• 3 years later...
  • Newbies

I know this thread is old, but I am also trying to generate an RSS. 

We use Filemaker to track details on thousands of homeless individuals. We need to generate an RSS to feed our digital signage for who's next on the shower/laundry list. 

I know your examples aren't entirely relevant since this thread is almost 7 years old. 

But since I am a rookie can you at least point me in the right direction?

We are using FMS13.

Thanks

~w

I know your examples aren't entirely relevant since this thread is almost 7 years old.

I suggest you try the answer given in post #2, nevertheless. Not much has changed on this front since version 6 in 2002.

EDIT:

Sorry, I have only now noticed you're using a server. I'll try and get a better answer for you, one that doesn't require exporting (I see that the link in post #6 is no longer active).

Edited by comment

This topic is 3731 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.