External Authentication Problem

This topic is 5956 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have an FM 8 Advanced Server setup with a number of databases on it. Most of the databases have internal accounts setup on them. I recently created a database that I wanted to utilize the external authentication with. I set it all up and it was working perfectly.

My problem... When someone outside of the domain attempts to login to a database it auto-populates the "Username" field with their windows username and the password field with 3 characters. Is there a way to stop that from happening? Ideally I don't want SSO at all, I was basically using the external authentication so that my internal staff don't have multiple passwords to worry about.

Any ideas?

That's pretty odd. Especially the three character password part.

On the Windows platform if the workstation is a member of the domain and domain credentials were used to access it, then FMS will attempt those credentials if a user at that workstation asks for a connection. This can be overridden by holding down the Shift Key when accessing the server, thus causing the credentials dialog box to appear.

Steven

Well the credentials box is actually appearing because the people who are connecting to this particular database are not in the domain. (There are no accounts that are set to authenticate externally for this particular database either.)

But when the box appears both the username and password field are populated.

As soon as I turned of external authentication they no longer experience the problem. This just isn't one client that this is occuring to. I have about 150+ people that access this database. I enabled this yesterday and have been called numerous times today, all of them telling me the same thing.

I agree with the password box having three characters being strange. I have even asked the peole how many characters their passwords contain and they all have said more than three.

I'm stumped at this one. I'd hate to leave external authentication disabled because there are a number of databases that I wanted to utilize this feature with.

Suggest you place a call to FMI Tech Support, get a case number, and then contact your territory Systems Engineer for further attention to this.

There is something amiss here to be sure. None of the databases have any auto-entered credentials, do they? And, btw, does these credentials actually authenticate and grant users admission to the databases?

Steven

This topic is 5956 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.