Run time solutions

This topic is 5772 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

How to host Run time solutions on Server? I am using FileMaker 9 Server Advanced. Are Runtime solutions created only for single users? Can they be shared?

My solution involves complex Menus and Dialog plugins. Can I host/share my runtime solutions that needs plugins to be used as well?

Please suggest.

This is what I know about Runtime solutions

Runtime solutions for Single User

Runtime solutions can be created and deployed easily for single user very effectively.

There is no need of FileMaker Pro to be present on the machine for running the runtime solution for single user. The Runtime solution needs to be tested thoroughly before it is deployed.

Hosting Runtime solutions on FileMaker Server.

Runtime solutions can be hosted on File Maker Server. However each client machine must have its own copy of File Maker Pro to access the file hosted on Server. The clients needs to Open Remote the files and access the files from Server, just like we do with our normal hosted files.

The link below provides a Video demonstration of how to host a Runtime solution

on FileMaker Server Advanced.

Please click on this link and then click on "Runtime solutions" to play the

video. The Video is much self explanatory.

Please ensure you have Quick Time Player installed on your machine or else

can be downloaded from the net.

This Video however does not tell about what should be done, if the solution

file uses Plugins. This needs to be checked / searched further.

http://www.vtc.com/products/FileMaker-Server-8-tutorials.htm

Edited by Guest
More information Added

Runtimes can't be served! This should be pretty central in your curriculum when passing the certification test?:

What you can do, is to turn a solution somewhat proprietary in a multi user situation - is to migrate the back bone of the base to MySQL and then the interface/scripting to Runtime Revolution with this tool:

http://www.fmpromigrator.com/

When unpacking filemaker adv. did you actually declare not to build a cgi which could interact with a runtime - the whole thing is a license issue!!

--sd

Runtimes can't be served!

It depends on what is meant by "runtime". Certainly, if you have FileMaker Server, there's no reason why you couldn't serve the runtime FILES. The runtime APPLICATION, however, cannot be used - neither as a client nor as a host.

This topic is 5772 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.