Login Issues with FM8 & Active Directory

This topic is 5740 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a machine running windows XP and every time I try to launch FM8 and go into the databases that are on the server it locks my active directory account. All of my databases use active directory for authentication.

If I take a different computer and log in with the same cridentials it lets me in fine.

I had changed my active directory password and I have had trouble ever since. It is acting like my computer is still trying to pass the old password to the server in some way.

I have:

-Removed filemaker and reinstalled it

-Moved my data and deleted the profile off the computer and started fresh with a new profile.

-Restarted the filemaker server a few times

-It doesnt even let me log in with a master username and password for the databases

Still no luck....any suggestions?

Yes, I could do everything else that was network related.

This morning I have another users machine having the same issue. Interestingly enough they pushed Service Pack 3 onto her machine over the weekend. I am wondering if it is related to Service Pack 3 in any way, although I have other machines that are running fine with service pack 3.

Janet,

Something obviously happened when SP3 was released because there has been chatter here and on other boards concerning this matter. I recall nothing before SP3.

That said, I've been running SP3 on my machine using SSO and have had no problems. I *think* the problem may occur when connecting to the hosted database by using OPEN REMOTE. In my operation all users have a desktop shortcut that takes them into the hosted database:

fmp7://servername/filename.fp7

We have multiple database files but one acts as a gateway (or main menu) to the rest of the database files so from OPEN REMOTE users only see one database but in fact, most users don't ever use OPEN REMOTE.

The OPEN REMOTE dialog box *may* be attempting to open the databases multiple times and unintentionally locking the Windows AD user account.

Give the desktop shortcut a try, it might be a good workaround.

Hi Ted,

I don't think that it is relative to the open remote dialogue. I use open remote dialogue under the described problem ( xp professional, sp3, FM Advanced 8.0, FMServer 8.04 ) without incident, however I authenticate with FM accounts only.

Janet, does the direct link work around the problem?

My 2cents,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

[color:purple]Our company had a similar problem -- we used the temporary workaround of removing the server setting that allows people to see only the files they have access to.

However, the earlier reply about a shortcut may be useful -- you could build a user-senstive launch menu gateway to other files, and give everyone a shortcut to that.

Unfortunately at my company, our development schedule is too tight for programming something that's not at the top or our priority list. So we're still waiting for a patch from somewhere, like everyone else! Too bad that FileMaker doesn't have more respect here, or it would have been included in pre-SP3 upgrade testing, and we could have caught this before the decision to go to SP3 was made.

:

"Too bad that FileMaker doesn't have more respect here, or it would have been included in pre-SP3 upgrade testing, and we could have caught this before the decision to go to SP3 was made."

You mean: too bad SP3 was rolled out before the company IT people tested it.

You mean: too bad SP3 was rolled out before the company IT people tested it.

Amen to that. We've had to stop our IT people from installing all their automatic updates, Windows updates etc and even our citrix servers until testing has been completed and blessed. We learned that one the hard way. :crazy2:

Service Pack 3 disrupts the SSO capability when the database visibility option is selected. Users can simply re-enter their AD log-on credentials when the first challenge appears. If they are successfuly authenticated, then the list of avaiable files will appear. Users can then double click a specific file name and be admitted to the database without further credentials challenge. I am continuing to monitor this situation very carefully.

[color:red]

I and others have repeatedly noted both on this forum and in other FileMaker venues that anytime you make a significant change to the OS, that the potential of breaking something that was previously working correctly is almost guaranteed. It has happened many times in the past on both Macintosh and Windows OS. i fully expect that result will continue to manifest itself.

Steven

This topic is 5740 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.