One user with multiple accounts for one FileMaker file.

This topic is 5743 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Here is my "problem":

As far as I can tell, if a user is a member of more than one account in a FileMaker file, it gives that user the privilege set of the first account it comes to in the list of accounts.

Is there a way to make FileMaker prompt the user with a kind of "which account do you want to use today" prompt window instead of just going with the first one that matches the user?

I mostly want this capability as an administrator of the file, so I can quickly and easily make sure all the different user roles are working correctly. Right now, I have to shift myself around in the AD groups to get the privilege set I want when I open the file.

Thanks,

Joni

The answer to you question is "No"; furthermore, it shouldn't do that.

First, the authentication order when the Accounts/Groups are sorted by authentication order is what determines the "first" match. Not anything else.

Second, you can create a special internal Account tied to each Privilege Set and use the Relog-in script step to access the file with that Privilege Set. It will have the same Privileges as the External Group tied to the same Privilege Set. No need to move yourself around in the various Groups.

[color:red]Do not use external authentication on a [Full Access] account. If someone obtained a physical copy of the files, he or she could spoof the domain.

More information here.

HTH

Steven

Thank you very much, Steven. I have fixed this (no more full access for an AD group) in all of my files. Also, thanks for pointing out the "view by" dropdown box in the lower right hand corner. I hadn't noticed it before. Luckily, I was always viewing by "authentication order" so that is why I thought the file authenticated using the order of the accounts. It happened to be the view I was looking at all along.

Thank you for the great security tips. Now, I have a local account in each file set to each privilege set, so I don't have to worry about moving my account around in the AD groups.

It's a much better way to do it.

I just needed someone to point me in the right direction.

This topic is 5743 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.