Save Find as script step

This topic is 3354 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

You can save a scripted find, in fact you could always save a find. All you had to do is to perform the find, and then create a script using the Find Script Step you had just performed. In v7, you could can modify these finds within the Script Step editor, where as in the previous versions you had to redo the find manually, and then replace the step. They also added the ability to create the find steps within the editor. In v10 you can perform a find, and then save it in the new feature. This would be just duplicating what you have already created were doing with script

From your explanation, I get the feeling that what you are really asking, is a way to save the criteria that the user has used, in some kind of Audit file.

HTH

Lee

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. To be perfectly clear, I guess what I am asking is...

I do a find which returns a found set, in that set I may omit records, constrain or extend the found set. Once I have the list just the way I want it, can I use the new Save Find feature to return me this found set, and because I cannot use the toolbar in my solution, how do I script that?

Thanks again

can I use the new Save Find feature to return me this found set,

No, but you can mark the records of the found set using something a script and a filed. I use this file, Link, scroll to the bottom of the page, as it is the last demo listed "[color:blue]Custom Record Selection System"

HTH

Lee

Although I by and large try to avoid tagging records, is Lee right here, unless the duration the found set's existence would fit inside a "session" or a possibly a shorter while - then would I do it this way instead:

http://www.sumware.net/robfm2/?p=4

--sd

Although I by and large try to avoid tagging records, is Lee right here

Who knows? At least he has a few things to choose from.

I use "Custom Record Selection System" when I want to have a selected group, but not lose it when doing additional finds for other criteria. A second script can remove the marked status when your done.

I hadn't seen this Article before, the technique looks helpful, thanks for the link.

Lee

Edited by Guest

• 5 years later...
  • Newbies

I know this topic is old, but I just wanted to comment on what an awesome solution this is. The Nightwing demo that Lee linked to is very old (and only a FileMaker 5 file) but I did some searching and found a slightly newer (and much improved) FMP 8 version here: http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos8/demo802.html

I am using a modified version of it with great success!

This topic is 3354 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.