Quicklook objects in container field?

This topic is 3300 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I decided to try to solve my own problem and put together this rough prototype. It uses the terminal's qlmanage command to Quicklook any file, image, or Quicktime document in a container field (provided that only a reference is stored in the container).

If anybody wants to improve on this so that it also works with files, etc. that are stored internally (not as reference), that would be awesome. I'm thinking some routine that exports the file to a temporary directory and QLs it there.

quicklook_containers.fp7.zip

And yet another follow-up to my own post...

The sample I uploaded has a small error of terminology: a field (and label) that refers to the POSIX path of the file is not, in fact, a POSIX path at all. You can trace my steps here: originally I planned to have the database calculate the POSIX path and then pass that through to the Applescript; then I changed my mind and decided to have the Applescript calculate the POSIX path. But I forgot to change my field name and label.

So, it's sloppy and not very cosmetically nice. But it does work!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Solved it:

setVariable: $file; table::container

setVariable: $path; Get ( TemporaryPath )&$file

setVariable: $script;

Let ( thepath = Middle ( $path  ; Position ( $path ; "/" ; 1 ; 2 )+1 ; Length ( $path) ) ;

"set p to POSIX path of " &  Quote(thepath) & "¶

do shell script \"qlmanage -p \" & quoted form of p")

ExportFieldContents [table:container; $path]

PerformAppleScript [$script]

FMP-OSX-Quicklook-Container_fmp12.zip

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Newbies

Great work on the solution. It worked on my database magically. However, I am wondering how I should adapt that to a container with multiple repetitions? So far I have tried to define another variable $rep using get(ActiveRepetitionNumber) and inserted it into every occurrence where repetitions are involved. It, however, keeps giving me this message:

“” could not be created on this disk.  Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk.

Would anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

Fantastic script!! I've never googled the solution to a problem, found the answer so simply and clear and implemented in 15 minutes!

Initially I got the “” could not be created on this disk.  Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk. error but once I stripped off the document path info and just put the filename directly in the temporary path it works a treat!

Thanks so much!

• 3 months later...
  • Newbies

I think I found the solution... wasn't the applescript on OS X 10.9, but actually the script to define "thepath"...

setVariable: $file; table::container

setVariable: $path; Get ( TemporaryPath )&$file

setVariable: $script;
   Let ( thepath = Middle ( $path  ; Position ( $path ; "/" ; 1 ; 2 )+1 ; Length ( $path) ) ;
   "set p to POSIX path of " &  Quote(thepath) & "¶
   do shell script "qlmanage -p " & quoted form of p")
ExportFieldContents [table:container; $path]
PerformAppleScript [$script]

I just took out the +1 from "Let ( thepath = Middle ( $path ; Position ( $path ; "/" ; 1 ; 2 )+1 ; Length ( $path) ) ;" and seems to preview the file correctly instead of returning the path text...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This topic is 3300 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.