My first Runtime Solution...hopefully.

Soenso

This topic is 5140 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying create my first runtime solution from Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced (Mac OS X). The database from which I'm creating it is small (for now), about 900 kb, and utilizes only two layouts and a handful of relationships. I thought I'd start simple.

It may be just my ignorance, but Filemaker's documentation on runtime solutions is terrible and inadequate, at least for me. I'd prefer to create a solution that is cross-platform, but for now I'd just be happy with one solution I could install and run on Windows, and one I could use on Mac OS.

I've used the Developer Utilities feature to bind the files, and have used what (I think) is a unique 3 letter extension. What do I do with the created files?

So, how do I a.) create a runtime solution that can be installed on Windows, and b.) do I need a separate installer?

I'm having a hard time finding any solid information on just what to do.

Thanks in advance

I agree that the documentation is weak concerning runtimes. I'd be happy to answer your questions. I've answered many runtime questions, and if you search the forums for "runtime" with my name, I'm sure you'll find most of them.

A runtime must be bound on the platform on which it is to run. So, although the FM file can be copied from mac to win, you must use FMA on Win to create a runtime for use on Win. Whether you package your runtime for delivery using an installer is optional. Yes, there are lots of auxiliary files that are created with a runtime, especially on Windows. I keep the .usr extension.

Thanks to both of you! I thought maybe I'd have to have FM Advanced installed on Windows to create Windows runtimes. And there's the rub. I stupidly neglected to download both the mac and windows installers for FMP Advanced when I bought it. I have the key, just no installer. Guess I'll have to tackle that problem first...

If you have a Disk, they are both on it. If you have a Key for downloading the Advance, I believe you can use the same key for the Windows version. If you have problems, contact customer support, or sales.

Lee

The installation files I have only contain the .dmg files. I have the email with the hyperlink to the app and documentation download, but as you know, those download links expire after ninety day. Oh well. I'll call Filemaker and see about getting another copy.

On a side note, my 900 kb filemaker file exploaded to a 100 MB runtime package! Sheesh, is that normal? Perhaps it's not as odd with larger solutions, as there are certain fiales that have to be there no matter what the original filemaker file size was.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a product called "Advanced Installer" (see www.advancedinstaller.com) to pack everything into an .msi for Windows. To reduce size I do not include the foreign languages (my app is used by in house personnel only). Each language dictionary and associated dll set is over 11MB.

I've just upgraded from FM8.5A to FM10A and recompiled only to find that my trimmed down install file grew from 12MB to over 20MB!. Ah... progress.

• 6 months later...

So just delete all the FOLDERS other than the ENGLISH one... Than me 60Mb

NICE!!!

This topic is 5140 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.