Can Runtime be multi-user?

EllenG

This topic is 5257 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I know a runtime solution can be run on a network, but as single-user only. Is there any way to get multi-user capability, with the runtime solution (FMP10) installed on a network?

I think I saw somewhere that you can access a runtime solution as multi-user if each node has FMP10 installed? Can it be done with FMP server?

Has anyone successfully created a runtime appl with multi-user access that can share their experience?

Thanks.

Some processes are not multi-user friendly, like flagging fields in records as part of a process then clearing them.

So while it may be possible to share a runtime, the runtime may not work as expected with multiple users.

I know a runtime solution can be run on a network, but as single-user only. Is there any way to get multi-user capability, with the runtime solution (FMP10) installed on a network?

I think I saw somewhere that you can access a runtime solution as multi-user if each node has FMP10 installed? Can it be done with FMP server?

Has anyone successfully created a runtime appl with multi-user access that can share their experience?

Thanks.

Just get Filemaker Server + copies of FileMaker.

Thanks.

1. Differentiate between the database files and the database engine. In a runtime, FileMaker creates a crippled copy of the FileMaker Pro database engine. It is crippled in that it does not talk out. The database files themselves are given an affinity to that engine but in all other respects are standard FMP files and may be opened with a standard copy of FMP. If you have FM Advanced to create runtimes, you also have the provision to rename files back to .fp7 files.

So, with full copies of FMP 10, you can take these files, enable networking and run them over a network in that way.

2. No - The runtime files DO NOT run over a network as single user files.By this, I mean, you cannot put the runtime on one machine and then open it from another. To do this you are envolking sharing at the operating system level. This is NOT an accepted method of running FileMaker files and will eventually result in loss of data, and/or corruption of data and/or corruption of the files themselves. This is a dangerous practice.You usefull copies of FileMaker Pro on each work station and use Filemaker's native tunneling to network. See the manual or help sections on opening remote files.

You could, one person at a time, using VNC software, use the runtime from another machine. In actual fact, the runtime is still running on it's machine and you are just communicating with the screen from a remote computer.

3. FileMaker, using full copies of FileMaker Pro 10, will serve up to 10 people on a peer to peer network. For more than that you would require FileMaker Server to be serving the files.

4.FileMaker, using one copy of FileMaker Pro, can serve up to 5 people using instant web publishing. This has some design considerations in and of itself. Using both FileMaker Pro Server and Server Advance, you can serve up to 100 people using instant web publishing.

HTH

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Sorry my english !!!

[color:red]Atention, Atention, Atention this work no have a full caracterist of file maker pro, for that buy unnecessary licenses (i don´t think so).

I assume you have a technical learn of informatical terms of Windows 2003 Server, ODBC, Networking, Terminal Server, Virtualization and Filemaker Server and Advance (all together), sorry if i don´t give support or some thing like that, only give a tips only for the post theme of this forum. Now, go a heat !!!

[color:red]MAYBE NO WORK FOR YOU: IS VERY POSIBLE,

IF IS YOUR CASE NO DISAPOINT !!! OK?

[color:purple]The true is this job make "virtual" same funtions multiuser and net operation.

But, YES can be, i do it!!!

My Name is Arthur S. Villadoble, from Latin America

I called this, [color:red]Kabed emulation.

Was tested? Yes i do, in 4 ways of image and other 4 more no presented.

You only need a FM Advance 10 for develop your solution job and share to 1,2,3...users (10 or more maybe) if you have a licence of filemaker pro you need it for "to synchronize" to many runtimes; we no have limit of users. You frost? jaja no magic!

Well this work fine in LAN or same server "LIKE" multiuser, but this is only solution for NO critical realtime refresh information and no severy complex of your job, you will see why.

Depends (so much) of you skills for develop your solution in the script maker, how you planed for work in this way and the most important, exactly what you need? and how you need manipulate your information give to runtime users and return to server.

[color:orange]Tip1: This work is "like" a [color:blue]synchronization between 2 or more terminals for consolide the information in only one database <--Keep this in your mind solution. ok?

[color:orange]Tip2: Very important, Use "[color:purple]OnTime Script" for send and get info between server and runtime in your LAN every time you need update info or refresh. NO abuse.

[color:orange]Tip3: [color:red]Always see all sides of a sphere, not as a simple bucket, if one said can´t be, don´t be live, only that person no see the solution jet ok? Only import data and export, jaja that´s all.

Now see image. If you want see it better click in link, you need acrobat pdf reader 9 on my website. If work for you please tell me.

[color:red]God bless you !!! Bye.

Filemaker_runtime_multiuser_and_net_work

Click here for Kabed Web Site

This topic is 5257 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.