upgrade 8.5 to 10 problem

This topic is 5146 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

hi all,

i wanted to upgrade my 8.5 advanced to 10 adv on my laptop also because i'll be on teh road for a week. this has worked fine on my desktop intel, but my powerbook g4 just spits out the disc without any message. any idea why it does that. no, it's not the drive and the disc is also ok (popped it in my desktop ok).

thanks for any ideas.

Edited by Guest

Mac OS 10.5 seems to minimum requirement, but since you're on your way to Japan wouldn't you be able to get the time to pull this off:

http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/unsupported.html

--sd

Edited by Guest

hi soren,

actually that doesn't seem to be the problem, because i do not even get to the installation part. the powerbook simply spits out the disc before it even mounts it.

but you're right - i'm just about on my way to japan, so i suppose i'll have to use what i got. talk to you soon!

FMP 10 will run on Mac OS X 10.4.11.

The FMP Advanced disk is DVD, can the drive in the G4 read it?

Put the Intel laptop into target disk mode and use it as an external Firewire DVD drive to install onto the G4. Alternatively create a disk image of the CD and copy it to the G4.

thanks a bunch vaughan - the disk image way (on a usb stick) worked and let me take my filemaker on the road. the g4 actually does read dvd's, not sure why it doesn't like this one, but anyway i got it now!

A tip with the FMP disks: they have both a Mac and a Windows partition on them, but each platform can only read its own. So creating a disk image on a Mac only gets the Mac volume. To make an image of the PC volume you need to do it on a PC.

This topic is 5146 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.