Can't see files on Server via Remote dialog box

This topic is 2635 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Just a quick question.....

Is there any reason, other than firewall, that a FM Pro client could see a FM Server in the Open Remote File dialog box, but NOT see the files on that hosted on that server?

The files ARE set to display in the Open Remote File dialog box.

The files are seen when FileMaker Pro is run on the Server. The files are NOT seen when FileMaker Pro is run on a client.

Edited by Guest

Yes. I did that myself during install of FM Pro 11.

I believe the problem has been taken care of by the IT folks at the client site. They turned the firewall off on the server and the files are now available.

Edited by Guest
Typo

Bonjour is for discovery of the Server. if files are not showing up, then it could be Port 5003. Or it could be that the fmapp bit isn't set in the file. Or it could be that the option to block showing of the file in Open Remote was checked.

Steven

I have a similar problem - I have a new computer with Win 7, and FM11Adv - but I can't see the remote files. I have installed/uninstalled/reinstalled Bonjour. The server is functioning fine - files can be seen as remote on all other machines. Just not the Win 7 machine. I tried putting in the IP address and that failed as well - said the file was not available on that host. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I have just upgraded the Filemaker Advanced software on my FMP Server to 11. (The server software is still 8. That is the next step.) Both FMP 8.5 and 11 are installed on this system. From 8.5, i can get to the files. From 11, i cannot see the server or browse any files. This seems VERY strange to me. Can anyone help?

--

Chevell

I think he is saying he has 8.5 and 11 installed on the same machine, but he can only see the server files from the 8.5 application, not the 11 application. Could this be Bonjour?

I still cannot get my windows 7 ultimate with FMPA 11 to see the files either. I have tried firewall off/on - no luck!

It worked fine before I installed the upgrade to Ultimate, and the Security Essentials.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I have the same problem. Fresh install of Windows 7 Pro and FileMaker Pro 11 client. The Open Remote dialog connects to my FileMaker 8 Server but does not list any of the hosted files.

All other clients can see and access the hosted files.

Bonjour is installed. I have tried with Windows Firewall off and on, and have enabled TCP port 5003 for incoming and outgoing. No difference in any of these settings.

Here's another happening with Windows 7 and hosted files....

We just had a customer who has been running Windows 7 with our FileMaker app without an issue for several months. Then, all of a sudden, our startup file could not find the hosted files on the server. The IT staff say nothing has changed.

Our thought is that an automatic Windows update happened at some point recently and has caused the issue.

So, here's where it gets weird....like I said, our startup file couldn't find the referenced file on the server. The file reference in the startup file uses the wildcard convention for the server name. For example, fmnet:/*/filename.fp7.

After the problem began to happen, we checked the Open Remote dialog box. The server appeared under local hosts. When the server was selected, several of the client's other hosted FM files showed up in the list.

That really confused me. This told me that the server was visible to FM on this computer AND the hosted files were visible to this computer.

Our files are set to not display in Open Remote File dialog box, so I wasn't confused by the fact that none of our files were visible. It's just that I expected NO files to be visible.

My next step was to change the file reference in the startup file to use the specific IP address of the server and NOT the wildcard. As soon as I did that, VOILA! the startup file was able to access our hosted files.

I just can't find much logic in it.

• 1 month later...

I have what appears to be the same issue.

Existing FMS9 on OSX

Multiple FMP8 & 9 clients on OSX & XP

Installed FMP9 on new Win7 box, located on the server LAN segment. Entered server's IP in REMOTE.

No files appear.

FMP9 is patched with v3 update and the SSL update.

Nothing appears in the server logs, AFAICS.

> Did you update the server as well to 9.0.3.326?

I did that back when the patches came out. (Well, when I noticed them at the FMP site...) All other clients, new and old, inside the LAN and out, are working. But I do not know if any are on Win7; most are OSX.

Grepping the Event.log, I see lots of "authentication failed" entries over time, but assume they are fatfinger/PEBKAC, not system caused.

I can't tell if any of the logged errors were from the Win7 box; too many other entries about then.

(I'm not sure if Event.log records patch installations; grepping on "install" "patch" & "ssl" is futile.)

ps: I have tail-f'ed the Event.log while she goes to File->Remote etc. No entries.

Also, yesterday I briefly disabled the Windows Firewall and that had no effect either.

Edited by Guest

Sigh;

Today I tried setting the compatibility mode of the FMP executable to XP and Vista of various ilks; none helped me to connect to the Server.

I figured out how to get telnet enabled; telnet'ed to 192.168.1.42 5003, and got a response. So it's not connectivity.

• Newbies

This solved the problem for me.

I uninstalled FMP from the computer having the problem.

I then reinstalled FMP. But this is the important difference:

make sure you install by using the Setup.exe file and NOT the Filemaker Pro 11.msi file. Setup.exe installs Bonjour correctly. Everything works fine for me with this method -- computer sees the server and all served files that are available.

But I neither need nor want Bonjour.

Bonjour is to discover a server, a printer, etc. I know exactly where FMS is: 192.168.1.x; what I need is for FMP9, not just telnet and other apps, to talk with it.

Not sure what the real issue here is, but Bonjour is required in order for the server to appear unless you already know its exact IP or resolved domain name.

If the files are not showing, check that both the Server and the clients have the SSL patch installed.

I suppose it's also possible that a PEM file got corrupted. There are reports of that.

Steven

The server is on a static IP. It's working with multiple clients, and the server & clients are all patched.

All was happy, old installs & new.

But then, she got a new machine with Win7, not XP. [We eschewed Vista, thank goodness....] I installed and patched from the same FMP9 distribution as all Windoze boxes have gotten.

When I go to the server IP (Open Remote), I see no files.

I can telnet to the server IP on port 5003.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I have this fixed.

First, you CAN use the XP Virtual Machine approach, but it has hassles, inc. you cannot drag & drop between the W7 and XP desktops.

I succeeded in getting the simpler Compatibility Mode under W7 working.

Install FMP9, patch it up to date, and then go into its directory, off of programs(x86), and on every exe, right-click, Properties, Compatability Mode, set XP mode.

FMP9 then found the server at its IP address with no problems.

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

I was having the same problem, and this is what worked for me:

Some installations of Filemaker Pro 11 do not place a copy of server.pem in the C:Program FilesFileMakerFileMaker Pro 11 folder. The absence of this file makes it impossible to see any files hosted on a FileMaker Pro Server Advanced 11 server. Copying the file from a successful installation adds the needed functionality. This also works for copying server.pem from FileMaker Pro 7, and putting it into FileMaker Pro 11.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Newbies
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2012 at 3:13 PM, Quent Williams said:

Some installations of Filemaker Pro 11 do not place a copy of server.pem in the C:Program FilesFileMakerFileMaker Pro 11 folder. The absence of this file makes it impossible to see any files hosted on a FileMaker Pro Server Advanced 11 server. Copying the file from a successful installation adds the needed functionality. This also works for copying server.pem from FileMaker Pro 7, and putting it into FileMaker Pro 11.

You my friend are AMAZING!!!!!

copying the server.pem and root.pem from a good machine to the one having the problem worked like a charm.  Thank you!

• 10 months later...
  • Newbies
On 10/10/2012 at 2:13 PM, Quent Williams said:

This worked for me, very easy! Thank you for the tip!

This topic is 2635 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.