How to "Get ( TableName )" for each table

This topic is 4271 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I would like to add a particular "meta-data" field to each table in my solution. I want this field to calculate and display the table name. I read a little on the functions "TableNames" and "TableIDs" but from what I understand they will return a list of ALL table names or ALL table IDs used in the file.

Since there is no "Get ( TableName )" function that I can see, how does one go about using either "TableNames" or "TableIDs" to return just the table name I am trying to get?

I would like to do the same with Layout names as well - so if there is a solution - I imagine the same logic would apply.

Much appreciated if you can help.

there is no "Get ( TableName )" function that I can see

Have a look at the Get(LayoutTableName) function. Note that "table" here actually means "table occurrence".

I would like to do the same with Layout names as well

See Get(LayoutName).

Thanks Comment for the reply. Well, as usual, things are more complicated than I hoped for.

The problems:

I want each table to have one field that contains its table name. If I use "Get ( LayoutTableName )" it gives me the Table Occurrence Name - which can be different than the table name. I can hard code - but I want something dynamic / automatic.

Ironically, I would also like to use the "Get ( LayoutTableName )" to display the TO that portals are coming from - but that doesn't work because they are coming from TOs other than the layout the TOs are based on.

In short, I am trying to automate - and document - the solution. Also, facilitate the display of table names, TO names, layout names, etc. I want to prevent hard coding as much as possible. I recall some time ago wanting to use layout names in parameters but they had to be hard coded instead of referencing a field.

SInce one table can feed many TOs and many layouts - I understand why it is not easy. I imagine there has to be some parsing of a list to pin-point where and what something is.

Is there any way to capture the actual table name (not the TO) via a calculation?

Thanks in advance!

Is there any way to capture the actual table name (not the TO) via a calculation?

Not that I know of.

IMHO, you're just creating extra work for yourself. For example, a portal already shows the source TO when you enter Layout mode.

Remember Comment - I am obssessive-compulsive.

I am using it for display purposes - not developer purposes. I do this with layout names and it saves me work - and I do not have to worry that a layout name has changed - but the display title for the layout has not changed. I have found several uses for this type of "convention" that serves me well.

I would like to do this for fields as well.

Thanks for the help again.

• 2 years later...
  • Newbies

Let (

[

x = GetFieldName (Self) ;

count = Length (x) ;

remove = 9 ; // This number should be the length of your fieldname plus 2. Mine field is "table_C" so the value is 9. ("::table_C")

return = Left ( x ; ( count - remove ) )

]

; return )

Try this custom function (I also uploaded it to the Brian Dunning Filemaker Pro Custom function website)

//  SYNTAX:   ListBaseTableName

//   ORIGIN:   http://www.decisiongroup.net

//    NOTES:    Returns the base table name based on the table occurance on a particular layout in the current FileMaker Pro v12 file

//	 VERSION:   1.0v1 - for FileMaker Pro v12

//	  © 2012 Lazarus Sismanis, Decision Group Inc., Eagleville, PA, USA

// requires FileMaker Pro v12 or higher

//Thanks to  Andrew Duncan, Databuzz, Sydney, Australia for his ListBaseTables function

ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT DISTINCT BaseTableName FROM FileMaker_Tables WHERE TableName='" & TableOccurrenceName & "'" ; "" ; ""  )

To get the CF posted by lazarus to work, you will need to use this in the calculation definition for the field:

(this calculation hasn't been tested, but I think it will work)

ListBaseTableName(

GetValue(

Substitute(

GetFieldName( self ) ;

"::" ; ¶

) ;

)

)

...but that's only going to work in FM12. Of course, you could use an SQL plug-in to make that Custom Function work in versions prior to 12.

This topic is 4271 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.