Install into Shared Drive/Folder

This topic is 4993 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am new, I need help, please excuse me for simple question.

My local office has 10 computers; 50 computers (include oversea offices)

Local office all have access to a Shared Drive/Folder S.

I installed Filemaker Pro 10 Adv. to the Drive S.

I want all 10 computers to be able to run Filemaker. It did not work. I get "Error: This application has been installed incorrectly or modified by another program. Please run the installer to get a fresh copy of the application after determining the cause."

So, do I need to independently install a Filemaker onto every computer? (do I need to buy 50 CDs or 1 CD installed onto multiple computers?)

Web Publishing still requires some loading; I want Filemaker to work offline so it would be even faster.

If you get a VLA (Volume License) you can install FMP on all machines with one Serial number. You will not get a CD but a download installer which you can put tbe installer on the server and access it there, or burn a CD.

The other option is to explore Citrix & Terminal Services, where your overseas users DO NOT need to install FMP all they need is a client & browser you maintain a server or you contract with a Hosting company that provides such a service ( thedroolingdog.com) and then users who can access the system will be able to remote in to a session where they will have full blown access to FileMaker Client.

Remote users are only sharing screen, keyboard, and mouse so the connection is more secure and if they should loose connection they can pickup where the left off and you can prevent corruption issues from WAN disconnections.

Check with the hosting provider first as your Remote users license will be purchased thru them and your LAN local users are apart of your VLA.

Conversely you COULD be 100% hosted and ALL users access the system the same way.

Ocean West has given you good advice. The way you're trying to set this up will not work and is not the way these products work.

It might be a good idea for your organization to get some assistance from a FileMaker development company in your area who is experienced in this type configuration.

Steven

This topic is 4993 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.