Protecting Code?

This topic is 4914 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Have you already tried Manage>Accounts and privileges? If you are the full access user with password, then creating a read-only or data-entry only or whatever level of access you want to provide should do the trick. There are tons options if you edit the privilege set.

However...(and some with more knowledge that I can chime in), if your solution has an active Admin account there are several "Crackers" on the market that can let someone gain access to your solution.

I purchased one just see how easy it would be to gain access to the admin account of a project I had started. It was basically as easy as entering a new Admin password in a box and press an open button (I think they may do some damage the file, but you can get in).

I think the only truly safe application is a Runtime with the Admin completely removed.

That is why I use nothing but Runtimes and use the updater solution by bcooney.

Jim

Yes, it was just that my point was the only secure solution you can distribute is a Runtime, all others can be cracked.

I will have to find the link, but bcooney (who posts here) provided me with her update solution for Runtimes which has worked out great for the Runtime solutions we push out.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

You can script turning on multi-user access. I purchases an app the was distributed as run Time files. As single user you could run with runtime. To run as multi-user you used with full copies of Filemaker, just opening the run-time data files. worked great.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Filemaker Advanced has the option of removing the admin accounts using the runtime creator. It has been a while but I believe you do not have to create a runtime to do this, just remove the admin accounts and access.

Since you would set up other accounts with various priviliges, or just one with selected priviliges, your users can run the file but not have access to scripts, layouts etc.

This topic is 4914 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.