Can runtime versions access remote server?

Ken Wilson

This topic is 4932 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I want to create a runtime version of my solution so my customers can run it offline with some features and access FM server for record storage and all the rest of my reporting features.

My FM hosting prospect says runtime doesn't have IP support. really?

Ken

Ken, I don't think you're trying to bypass FM's license agreement. I do think that you don't have an understanding of runtimes and their limitations and their intended use.

The Runtime feature exists, primarily, to allow a developer to distribute a stand-alone, non-networkable, solution without requiring the purchase or installation of the full FM client. Runtimes do not support the full feature set of FM Client, the most obvious features missing include: Save as PDF, and Charting.

But the most interesting dilemma I see in your requirement is the ability to have a user work offline, and then connect to more functionality/data. That will take some interesting design, since FM integrates its structure and data. This isn't even a case of "let's employ the Separation Model" bcs you're somewhat splitting the functionality available in the system. What are your thoughts of how to achieve this hybrid system?

• Newbies

Thank you for understanding. I do not wish to bypass the FM license. My solution requires the user accessing many different layouts which are each full of many fields.

I am worried that across the net, that the refresh rate of the layouts will be too slow for the ui experience.

But also, I will need the capability of saving a .pdf so I will just have to require that each of my clients purchase FMpro11.

I think someone told me of a way for members of this forum to get discounts to pass on to their customers. Any ideas?

However, you mention an off-line capability. How are you going to design that? Are you aware of SyncDek? Perhaps, this is a model you might wish to explore.

I'm not aware of software discounts thru FMForums.

The devil here is in the details. Runtimes can do very specific things, and your description is still too vague. There should be no problem using a runtime to browse data stored locally. It is also possible to import updated data from time to time. Pushing data in the other direction is more problematic.

As for PDF, Mac users can print to PDF from a runtime the same way they can from any application. Windows users need to install a PDF printer (and learn how to use it).

P.S. You might find these previous threads helpful:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/199474/

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/210490/

Edited by Guest

This topic is 4932 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.