Odd External Authentication issue

This topic is 4754 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We have an inventory database that is accessed by two workgroups through external authentication via Open Directory. One of groups has all of our team members in it so they can do inventory changes while out in the field. The other group has access to our stockroom and are the only ones that can remove a item from "stock" and place it as deployed. The problem I'm having is that two of the members from the lesser privileged group are also in the higher privileged "Stock" group. The database will use the lesser privileged group for those two individuals NO MATTER WHAT. We have the authentication order set correctly for the workgroup as well as having that groups privilege set at the top of the list. FMPS seems to still be insisting on using the wrong workgroup. I have verified that they are showing as a member of the workgroup on both the client machine and the server using the "checkmembership" command and everything checks out ok. Any ideas?

Our directory server is Snow leopard, the FMP server is 10.5.8 with FMPS 9, client is running Snow Leopard as well with FMP 11.

Check the authentication order for the externally authenticated account in the database file -- each database file if there are multiple.

We have an inventory database that is accessed by two workgroups through external authentication via Open Directory. One of groups has all of our team members in it so they can do inventory changes while out in the field. The other group has access to our stockroom and are the only ones that can remove a item from "stock" and place it as deployed. The problem I'm having is that two of the members from the lesser privileged group are also in the higher privileged "Stock" group. The database will use the lesser privileged group for those two individuals NO MATTER WHAT. We have the authentication order set correctly for the workgroup as well as having that groups privilege set at the top of the list. FMPS seems to still be insisting on using the wrong workgroup. I have verified that they are showing as a member of the workgroup on both the client machine and the server using the "checkmembership" command and everything checks out ok. Any ideas?

Our directory server is Snow leopard, the FMP server is 10.5.8 with FMPS 9, client is running Snow Leopard as well with FMP 11.

IIRC, and it has been a while, there were issues with Server 9 and Open Directory with Groups. You're running very recent OS and releases for everything else but FileMaker Server. I'd recommend that you upgrade to FileMaker Server 11 for all its other benefits and to see if this clears up this issue. Also, please be sure that there are no Local FileMaker groups lurking on that FileMaker Server machine. And, BTW, I'd also run OS X Server on it, not the client OS.

HTH

Steven

• Newbies

Thank you for your reply. That's what we had suspected. We do have plans to upgrade the server this summer so hopefully that clears it up. The FMP server is indeed running OS X Server. Sorry for not being clear. Again, thanks!

This topic is 4754 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.