360works JDBC Connector - connect with MS SQL Server

This topic is 3988 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello FM fans :)

I'm having an issue connecting to a MS SQL Server DB that I have using the 360works plugin...

I can load the driver OK, I get the message "1" so it loads OK, but when I try to open a connection to the DB I get an error :

"No suitable driver found for...."

The driver that I downloaded is the latest MS SQL JDBC Driver 3 from Microsoft.

I load like this: jdbcLoadDriver( "java.sql.Driver" ; _properties::jdbcDriver ) -- Note that the driver is in a FM container

I Open the connection like this: jdbcOpenDatabase("jdbc:sqlserver://10.***.***.******:1433; databaseName=Test" ; "user" ; "password" ; True ) -- syntax following the help file from the driver.

Can anyone give me a hint , or if I'm doing something wrong ?

Thanks a lot

Tiago

Solved Guys !!

Using a new driver that actually works !! the jTDS JDBC Driver .

You can load the DB like this: jdbcLoadDriver( "net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver" ; _properties::jdbcDriver) - as I said , the driver is in a container but instead of _properties::jdbcDriver , you can use the normal file location above.

then to Open a connection use: jdbcOpenDatabase("jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://10.***.***.*****:1433/Test" ; "user" ; "password" ; True )

And that is it ! I manage to retreive my data from an SQL Server to Filemaker Database.

Here to Download the Driver ... I'm using the latest version

• 1 year later...

Maybe not a good idea to continue in this thrread, but it seems closely related.

We are now april 2013, the Java JRE is 7, my server is MSSQL Server 12 and the driver is sqljdbc4.jar, which seems to be the recommended driver if you're on Java 7.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms378422.aspx

My testing environment is the AdventureWorks2012 database.

jdbcLoadDriver( "com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver" ; AW::JDBCdriver )

returns 1 -- OK

jdbcOpenDatabase( "jdbc:sqlserver://10.42.42.154:1433;databaseName=AdventureWorks2012" ; "sa" ; "test" ; True )

returns 1 -- OK as well, trying an invalid credential nicely returns the reason in jdbcLastError

Let ( myResult =  jdbcPerformQuery ( "SELECT * FROM dbo.AWBuildVersion" ; "timeout=" & 5*10^3 ) ; Case ( myResult = "ERROR" ; jdbcLastError ; myResult ) )

returns java.lang.NullPointerException

It seems something is broken, since I'm supposed to get a driver error in case of impoper use and not a Java error, right?

My client is a Mountain Lion Mac, and the driver is untested by MS on OSX, so it seems to be a bug in the driver.

Trying the same thing from Windows 7 gives no problem.

The jTDS JDBC Driver is not an option anymore, since it's not supporting Java 7 and returns an java.long.UnsupportedClassVersionError wich seems to clearly indicate a problem with the JRE.

I really want to use JDBC with the MSSQL server, since I want to compare the performance of inserts using the DoSQL 2 plug-in with ESS vs the scripted import through the JDBC plug-in, which I hope will run well in FMSE ( regular imports from ESS and ODBC imports don't work server side ).

I know it's not 360Works their task to provide us with functioning database drivers, they just make the plug-in. But I was hoping somebody would know which JDBC driver to use, or how to work around this problem.

Is it possible e.g. to have Java 6 as well installed on the Mac and have the JDBC plug-in use it?

Java really gives me major headaches these days. I guess I'll just do my testing from Windows then.

This topic is 3988 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.