Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Connecting to a database remotely

mvoogt

This topic is 4600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm looking for some advice. I am trying to connect to my database at my office from home. I have set up a dedicated IP for the server at the office. However connecting from home is terribly slow. Are there any alternatives to make the connection faster? Would using any 3rd party software help like Citrix or something?

There are lots of reasons that the remote connection could be slow, ranging from network configuration, to FileMaker Server and/or FileMaker Pro configuration, to architectural issues with the databases, etc.

Citrix would likely help, but before going to the considerable expense of that step, I'd try to run some other issues to ground first.

Steven

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your response. Here is where I am at now. At the office (where the file is served on a macmini) I am on a DSL connection. My upload speed is pretty poor at like 0.7mbps upload. The download speed from my house is on a cable connection at 17mbps. So download is pretty fast however the upload at the office is poor. I'm sure that is most of the problem. Basically the setup is opening port 5003 on the router at the office and giving the computer serving the file a dedicated ip. I'm not using FMP Server to serve the file. Just FMP Adv. It is a single file as well (no external sources, if that matters).

Thanks for your help.

-Matt

My upload speed is pretty poor at like 0.7mbps upload. [snip]. I'm sure that is most of the problem.

No doubt. There is a huge amount of overhead traffic back and forth between the host machine and the client. With just one remote user, the fact that the host machine is running FMP rather than Server will have little impact on the problem.

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your response. Here is where I am at now. At the office (where the file is served on a macmini) I am on a DSL connection. My upload speed is pretty poor at like 0.7mbps upload. The download speed from my house is on a cable connection at 17mbps. So download is pretty fast however the upload at the office is poor. I'm sure that is most of the problem. Basically the setup is opening port 5003 on the router at the office and giving the computer serving the file a dedicated ip. I'm not using FMP Server to serve the file. Just FMP Adv. It is a single file as well (no external sources, if that matters).

With this configuration I am not surprised at all that you're experiencing connection problems. I'd recommend you look into using FIleMaker Server.

Steven

Even though FM SERVER is distinctly faster the FMP as a host, I don't think you are going to see great gains in speed as it's basically your office upload speed that is the problem. In effect you need the bandwidth that only an ISP or FM Hosting service can offer.

There are alternatives to overcome the broadband speed issue, but this will involve VPN and similar solutions to get the remote computer effectively "inside" your office.

Consider external hosting - some offer free trials. Google "filemaker hosting".

Incidentally, if you consider your remote connection slow, try hosting one of the sample files issued with FMP as they are relatively simple in construction and not overburdened with complex calculations - this could give an indicator if your file is actually the problem.

This topic is 4600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.